Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does it stink out here?

Old 11-11-2009, 07:07 AM
Spike

Default Does it stink out here?

Hey everyone-I'm not that experienced of a hunter. I started after my father-in-law passed away and left me his guns. I've kind of had to be self taught (my first deer I dressed out I had a pamphlet next to me so I could see how to do it-and it took me forever being super careful...ah good times!). Really happy that I found this forum to glean from the wisdom of you all.

Anyway-I have a question about using lure scent. If I place a scent out should I take it down when I go out of the wood or leave it out? This is on my on property...
Old 11-11-2009, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

I personally always take it with me, don't know if thats the right thing to do, but the way I look at it is that scent is not there when I am not. Meaning the deer will not come into it during the night and maybe bust me from scent I may have left when coming in or out of the woods.

My trunk right now smells massively of doe estrus; not the greatest smell in the world.

This reminds me, I should probably go take the scent wafers out of there from last weekend!
Old 11-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

it has taken 2 weeks one time to get a buck to a lure scent, personal experience..i have a pic somewhere...so i dont kno what ta tell ya..i gave up on all that and jus scout now and go where the deer are instead of tryin to bring em in.. gl man..its a long tough road...keep huntin..who says it aint werk!!!!
Old 11-11-2009, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I only use the roll up scent dispensors now. Nice and clean, not messy. Pull the wick roll out. Hang it. Roll it back in and retract the wick into the capsule when done. O-ring seals keep it all in the capsule. Add scent as necessary.

Only other things I use are scent drags occasionally.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

i take it out...

my theory is if the buck comes by once or twice and finds no doe, hes going to quit coming to that scent....i wanna be there when he comes to it....

only exception is my drag line which obviously i cant clean up..and if im spraying scrapes...
Old 11-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

i think it would be best to leave it. if fact, tie a string with a towel on it, dip it in scent and then walk around in a every which way style. that will leave a more real scent trail. look at some kind of stand tree or ground. i hope that helps. welcome to hunting! it takes time to learn hunting. try birds also. pheasant out there. that will get you some action. rememeber its not the kill, its the adventure and learning experience in hunting that is worth while.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take your scent wicks with ya. It isn't going to do you any good if its hanging out there when you aren't there hunting. Properly placed scent can and will make the difference on a hunt.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

I generally leave it...and just freshen it up when I get back in my stand..good question though..never really thought about it too deeply
Old 11-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Dominant Buck

They make scent drippers and timed sprayers for a reason.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

take it back in wit ya!