HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   ohio hunters... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/309687-ohio-hunters.html)

mauser06 11-10-2009 07:09 PM

ohio hunters...

theres a decent chance i may be able to hunt Ohio this season...

going to be public land and not much scouting so im not expecting a whole lot...just looking to farther my season since im kinda done in PA...figure i might be able to bow hunt a bit before the gun season comes in, then shotgun hunt...then go back to the bow...

a few questions...

can you hunt on sunday??

hows the "deer permit" and "antlerless tags" work? i'll be hunting zone C from what i can tell...

say i buy a non-resident license and a deer permit...can i kill a buck and 2 doe (or 3 doe) with that single deer permit? or do i need a deer permit for each deer?

can you kill multiple deer in a day? hows that work?? say i drop one..can i keep hunting or done for the day or what??

thanx guys...for the most part stuff was cut and dry and easy to follow...but i dont understand the deer license stuff...and dont have a book to read the rules and regs and takes too long to download online and try to find...

OhioSlayer 11-10-2009 07:14 PM

What public land are you going to be hunting?

can you hunt on sunday??
Yes you can hunt everyday of the week.

hows the "deer permit" and "antlerless tags" work? i'll be hunting zone C from what i can tell...
You can to have your license of course and then you must buy either a Tag for "Either Sex" or an "Anterless Tag" or both of them. The "Anterless Tag" runs out somewhere around December 3rd and from then to the end of the season you have to buy an "
Either Sex" tag.

say i buy a non-resident license and a deer permit...can i kill a buck and 2 doe (or 3 doe) with that single deer permit? or do i need a deer permit for each deer?
You have to have a tag for every deer you shoot. One deer per tag.

can you kill multiple deer in a day? hows that work?? say i drop one..can i keep hunting or done for the day or what??
As long as you tag your deer, yes you can keep hunting for the rest of the day.

mauser06 11-10-2009 07:36 PM

thanx alot!

regardless of an either sex tag, its 1 buck per year period right??

but if i wanna shoot does past Dec 6th i have to spend the extra 9$ or whatever the difference is...and if i shoot a buck, i can only tag 2 doe with deer permits..and can only tag 3 with antlerless permits but those arent valid after dec 6th...everything is over the counter and i can get them throughout the season if i wish though??

pretty simple actually...

i can hunt with a slug gun, muzzleloader or bow during the "gun season"??

11/30-12/6 and 12/19-12/20 is the dates for gun season?
and 1/9-1/12 i can use a muzzleloader? flintlock..? and can use my bow till 2/7..

pretty simple stuff...VERY short gun seasons...but im OK with that...

i been looking at Brush Creek and Highlandtown wildlife areas...and Beaver Creek state park..not sure if i can hunt the state park or the rules or regs..just know its close as well...dont know if theres any others but i found those 3 areas that are within an hour or so of me...

anyone happen to know anything about those area? im all ears...or anywhere else in the general area thats worth checking out?? i'd appreciate any help...not looking for your honey hole..but wildlife areas worth checking out, certain roads that are good, whatever that may help guide me along...like i said, i havent been there yet and if/when i do go, its going to be spur of the moment...taking the bow scouting incase i get lucky and find me a dumb one or find a good spot in the morning to sit the evening or something...just looking to extend my season and do some more hunting...seeing deer would be AWESOME...killing even a doe or small buck would be amazing as well...id LOVE to bring home a decent buck..(an 80-100" deer would be decent to me!) anything over 100" is nice..over 130 would be a monster! lol...i dont have my hopes high...but im laid off and killed my PA buck and turkey so figured maybe i'll take advantage of it while the opprotunity has risen...just gotta wait and make sure a few things go right before i spend the money on licenses...

thanx guys

mauser06 11-11-2009 09:40 AM

BTT...gotta be more Ohio hunters on here!

sharpizzio 11-11-2009 10:09 AM

i can hunt with a slug gun, muzzleloader or bow during the "gun season"??

Yes.:fighting0007:

11/30-12/6 and 12/19-12/20 is the dates for gun season? Yes
and 1/9-1/12 i can use a muzzleloader? flintlock..? and can use my bow till 2/7.. Yes & Yes

Look at Little Egypt Wildlife Area and Wayne National Forrest as well as the Coshocton Area. Also check out the Mohican Area near Loudonville.

Hope that helps.

Champlain Islander 11-11-2009 10:18 AM

Expect lots of company if you are there in the gun season.

mauser06 11-11-2009 07:22 PM

thanx guys!

sharpizzio, i'll check em out and see where they are...appreciate it! if they are close enough i may PM you...

champlain, i'm from Pennsylvania...ive seen A LOT...im expecting a zoo...but almost betting its more relaxed than some of the times ive seen in PA...my strategy will be the same...find a good funnel and thick stuff and sit in it all day and hope someone jumps em and sends em to me!

actually just gave the slug gun a spray job today...hopefully i can make it work out and i'll be there!

mauser06 11-11-2009 08:34 PM

sharpizzio, looks like most those areas are a good bit farther than the ones ive found....im sure its probably worth the drive, but i dont think its feasible to try to scout and hunt that far from home...talkin gettin outta bed REAL early and gettin back to bed REAL late...but we'll see how the areas ive found look...

can you really bait deer?? even on public land?? just curious i read that deer hunters can bait on the dnr site...just never knew that...not sure id bother as id bet your bigger/older bucks arent going to come into bait...

man i love your DNR site...very user friendly...and the licenses and rules and regs seem pretty simple and cut and dry...

1 question i havent found....as a deer hunter, do i need orange? i think i only need it during gun and muzzleloader seasons...but any other time (archery) no orange required??

thanx alot i appreciate all the help....if anyone happens to hunt near the PA state line let me know maybe we can meet up...not looking to steal your spots...im willing and able to find my own...but just throwing that out there...

loadbreak 11-11-2009 10:42 PM

Any time during any gun season including I believe youth season you must wear orange. If using a shotgun it must be plugged to hold no more than three shells including the one in the chamber.

OhioSlayer 11-12-2009 01:00 AM

You only have to wear orange during the Gun seasons. During bow season you can be as camouflaged as predator.