Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need advice asap

Old 11-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need advice asap

Ok so this happened to me a few days ago and now it has happened again. I shot a gorgeous 8 point 40 minutes before dark hit it right behind the should 4 inches above his stomach. The arrow is still in the deer and I found a blood trail that was small but still noticable. There were droplets into a CRP field then to a woodline. We walked 100 yards looking and searching then just left considering its darkout and it would be like finding a needle in a hay stack and plus to let the deer bed if not dead yet and bleed out. My guess is that its bleeding a whole lot internally. What do you guys think? the blood was bright red but minimal

Last edited by scribbler444; 11-10-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Spike

Might have hit nothing. There is a small spot in there that deer will survive sorry if I am bursting your bubble. you guys did the right thing by backing out. I would wake up about sunrise and go out to where you last saw blood and start tracking. You might find him.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

Exclamation

Probably is. . .
Sounds like this deer will probably bleed out and you'll find him. If you hit him in the wheelhouse he will go down. 8 point? Nice buck man, nice buck.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

thank you I mean the arrow is still in there to so its boucing arround as he ran off and as he beds down im sure its still cutting up inside there. fingers crossed I find him in the morning he sure was a dandy and to top it off i grunted him in
Old 11-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take your time and good luck!
Old 11-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shot sounds a bit low and probably enough to warrant a little worry.

You did a very wise thing and quit after only a 100 yards. I once made a long shot on one of my best bucks and searched for only about 40 yards and quit. Came back later that evening with a friend and after an exhausting walk looking for him... 6 yards!... we were hauling him off. LOL! Hopefully your search will be similar.

Good luck and stay positive.

iSnipe
Old 11-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Spike

Hey, this year my husband shot a huge bull elk right through the lungs. It ran off after the shot and did not leave one spot of blood. We looked everywhere! We circled back to where he shot it and started looking around instead of down for blood and the bull was with in 30 yards of where he shot him. He had only bled about 4 inches down his body from the entrance wound. When we cut into him, he was completely filled with internal blood. So don't give up! I have seen it go both ways....found some, lost some, but don't give up. Good luck!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

If you have a blood light go while it's still dark in the morning and follow the trail. He's probably dead.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm thinking he died. Get out there first light. Think positive and go get yer deer.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Spike

i always look for them in the dark it seems easier to blood trail them and alot of time you will see their eyes reflect when shining a flash light through the woods. jus my $0.02

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.