Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My sickest feeling ever.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Spike

Default My sickest feeling ever.

I have been hunting every morning before school for the past week now in search of a big buck. Woke up this morning and went to a spot which I new had a big buck in. Around seven I see the big ten pointer about 80 yards away. I bleated at him and he turned directly towards me. I was shaking so bad since this would be my first big buck and im only 17. Deer circles down wind and catches my scent bomb. Comes within 15 yards. I come to full draw, see this pin behind the shoulder and release. Instantly i felt the string smack my forearm and see the arrow go flying. It hits the deer low guts about in the middle of him. Instantly i new what had just happened. The deer runs to the middle of the field and archs his back walking slow. I see a intestine falling out. I got the sickest feeling I ever had in my life. To top it off I took a P & Y bear this year and no doubt this buck would make it. Well over 140" buck. So i see him walk to a fenceline and I sneak out. I shot him at 7 am and decided to come back at 5 pm. Small bits of blood and no sign of deer after searching for 2.5 hours. Had a coyote going crazy about a hundred yards away from me across the river. Going back tomorrow to try to find him. This was the most stressful and the most sickening day I have ever gone threw. I hope it turns into a recovery tomorrow. My thoughts were the coyotes smelt him dead on our side of the river and were just trying to figure things out or the deer swam across and they found him. I guess we will see tomorrow morning. What a day. And what a night its going to become.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why didn't you keep tracking when you went back out there? 2.5 hours is not that much time really. I've searched so long for a hit deer that I was TOTALLY exhausted both mentally and physically. Usually a gut shot deer dies anywhere from 5 to 8 hours. It's also a well known fact that deer that are hit in the guts like that head to water. I suggest the next time you go out there, you check the water sources. Since your profile doesn't say where you are from, I have not a clue on your conditions or weather, so I will assume it's warm and your deer is spoiling bad at this point.

Get out there out there real early.

Good luck. Be persistent and if the mood strikes you, offer up a Prayer. It couldn't hurt. I wish you the best of luck and sincerely hope you find him.

iSnipe
Old 11-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck at finding him the same happened to me early I gut shot a doe with my bow which was my first bow deer I hope you have better luck finding than me!
Old 11-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Why didn't you keep tracking when you went back out there? 2.5 hours is not that much time really.
I have been hunting every morning before school for the past week now in search of a big buck.
I shot him at 7 am and decided to come back at 5 pm.
It probbly got dark on him.
I will say a prayer for you to find your buck.
I hope the coyotes didn't get to him.

Good Luck.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

hey man my dad shot one earlier this year that we looked for several hours for and couldn't find (couldn't even find any blood). i had taken the day off of work the next day anyway and at first light i went and just kept looking at the ground and was getting discouraged until i came to a spot where the leaves had been kicked up and i just kept my eyes open and about an hour later found him and a lot of blood where he'd laid and died. poor shots happen, just keep your eyes open and look hard (possibly in your case, really hard), and you should find him.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure if it's legal where you hunt or if you have access to one, but blood trailing dogs are amazing. I have seen them find some deer when everything else had been exhausted.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

I feel for you man...........I'm guessing you will find him. Even if the yotes do feast on him a little, its will be better than not finding him..............
Old 11-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jrbsr
It probbly got dark on him.
There's no such thing as dark in this particular situation. I believe he should have looked more that evening.

================================

The deer had plenty of time to die and just because it's dark and in my opinion, is not a good reason not to keep the search on... especially when there's issues with the meat probably spoiling by the hour. The bacteria is growing as I type this.

I was taught to find the wounded deer at almost all costs. I probably take that too far, but when I'm done looking for an animal I never found, whether it be mine or someone else's, there's no regret in me or my conscience giving me heck because I gave great effort in trying to locate it.

High Country Killer! If you can, bring some people with you. Hang in there. Thumbs up.

iSnipe
Old 11-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Spike

I was out looking for 8 hours today. Nothing. No blood. No deer. Got ahold of a distant friend who has 2 blood trailing dogs. Going out for another long day tomorrow. Got a big group going out. This deer will be found.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

Goodluck chief... Start looking for those vultures

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.