Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

missouri expectations

Old 11-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Spike

Default missouri expectations

Im hunting in camden co. for the first 9 days of rifle season. I have never been to the area we are hunting but I believe it is over grown cattle country. That's all i know so I'm not giving you much to go on. I would like to hold out for a very nice buck but I would rather not eat my tag. My question to those who may know the area is what size should I hold out for... For example in michigan where I live if you were to hold out for anything bigger than 100 in. class you would likely be eating paper.

Thanks, dan
Old 11-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

Hopefully you can get something bigger than 100 inch, but I must say that in all the time I've spent down in that area over the past 30 years I've never seen one. Lot's of deer, just small. A few 120's and 130's mounted on someones wall. Good luck to you though and if you have tags unused try the North end of Missouri in the muzz season for bigger antlers. You will sure be able to fill your freezer down there though! The one I put on my avatar today is from my bro-inlaws first bow kill last year.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Spike

turkey guide thats a very nice buck, congrats to your BIL, i was thinking that maybe the antler point restrictions would effect the age class of the bucks in the area. Here's to hoping for the best, if i don't see the buck i am hoping for it wont be for lack of effort.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

I think the antler point restrictions are great! We are seeing more and more bucks like this every year since 2004 when they started it. Bucks that were buttons back then are huge now because they haven't been killed until they're older. It was hard for the first couple years knowing that if it didn't have at least 4 antlers on at least one side you couldn't take a buck at all, but now everyone has a good chance at a great buck every year. It also took time to change peoples hunting methods here, but again knowing that you can't take certain bucks made people slow down and look hard before shooting, which makes us all safer too. Plus I think more does are taken, which is very important also, by not so serious antler hunters, who simply ruled out bucks and just hunt meat.
Many would not agree but I think if hunters don't start doing their part to kill does, we should impose an earn a buck program here for residents. Have an early doe season with rifles in Sept., and you either kill a doe, or no tag for a buck in the Nov. season, unless you pay the same as a non-resident. Taking some of the does out of the picture early might make those bucks a little more active, moving around and fighting for whats left during the rut.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Spike

that is exactly what we should do in michigan, sadly we are miles away from that ever happening.