Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How Would You Go About ?

Old 11-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Default How Would You Go About ?

How would you go about hunting a new peace of ground?
If you haven,t been able to scout it any?
This is what it looks like.
The white squares are the deer stands allready there.
They belong to the people that allready hunt it.
The one with a arrow is one I can use.
The black lines, are the property lines.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

About all you can do is hunt that stand opening morning and base the rest of your hunt on what you see and hear from that stand. I would check to see if it were ok to stillhunt/stalk the area on the back end of your arrow, up into that corner and down to the waterway. If it is permissable for you to move around in there, after about 10:00 or so if you haven't seen anything from that stand, do it. Be prepared to put up a climber or build a groundblind or climb a big tree if you find a better place. Then get back to the original stand and finish out the day. Hunt the new stand the second day all day if you think it's better.
That top right corner of the property looks good to me, as the deer may come in to your setup from that open field in the morning or travel to that open field past you in the evening. There may be a good trail up in that corner.

Last edited by turkey guide; 11-10-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure of your post. ?? Are you restricted to just that stand only... or can you hunt other places, but not the other stands?

If that is the only stand I can use, but I can hunt other places, just not someone else's stand, then I would figure how the other hunters get to their stands. Then I would devise a hunt plan based on where all the stands are. I would then hunt away from those stands, as I'm sure some deer are aware of the dangers there. I would either put up my portable stands, use a ground blind or make a natural material ground blind. I could just pre-picks spots too that would be good for a sit on a chair or something.

I suggest finding different spots to hunt that do not interfere with other hunter's blinds and figure on the best route to get to those spots. Some deer will have the hunter's patterns down. They will know about when and where the hunters will come from and they'll know when and where they are headed when it's time to go. They know this from the repeated pressure of the other hunters, the ground scent they leave behind, the scent in the air they disperse and the noise they make coming and going.

It may also be good to know "when" the other hunters will be hunting or like to hunt. This will affect deer patterns there and you may use it to your advantage. If it were me, I'd ask the surrounding property owner(s) if it would be ok to access the hunted property from their property. This way your plan would be totally different than the normal patterns of hunters already there.

There are times I do plan on hunting a spot that has hunter pressure. The plan is simple... to be there before the other hunters get to their stands, but further back in. This will force movement in my direction if I positioned my stand correctly and did my part right... like hunt the wind, watch my scent I leave on the ground and being quiet. I also come from a different direction or take a long walk all the way around coming from behind.

Something to factor in on your plan of attack.

iSnipe
Old 11-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seems like all you can do is sit in that stand and see what happens.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Seems like all you can do is sit in that stand and see what happens.
LOL! That's almost what I was originally going to say too. It would have saved me some typing!

But since I'm thinking he "may" be able to hunt other places, just not on other hunter's stands, I gave it a shot.

iSnipe
Old 11-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by iSnipe
LOL! That's almost what I was originally going to say too. It would have saved me some typing!

But since I'm thinking he "may" be able to hunt other places, just not on other hunter's stands, I gave it a shot.

iSnipe
I can hunt other spots, just not in other hunters stands, for safety.
The one stand is built with treated lumber, and belongs to the camp.
It was built for the late preacher that died from cancer.
So its ok to use.
There are only 4 other people, other than myself hunting this property.

About all you can do is hunt that stand opening morning and base the rest of your hunt on what you see and hear from that stand. I would check to see if it were ok to stillhunt/stalk the area on the back end of your arrow, up into that corner and down to the waterway.
That corner, going back towards the creek is where I was planning to hunt.
Since the other hunters are on the other side, I hope it will push deer to the top right corner of the property.
Thats what I am hopeing anyway.
Only certin people can hunt this land, I just happen to be one.

Hopefully I will posting some big bucks, and does.