Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
New Hunter, Deer Season Sat. HELP! >

New Hunter, Deer Season Sat. HELP!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Hunter, Deer Season Sat. HELP!

Old 11-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Spike

Default New Hunter, Deer Season Sat. HELP!

Hi Gentlemen (and ladies), my name is Sam, I'm from south Louisiana and Deer season opens next saturday. I just came up with some money for my first rifle, but im new to the sport, and Rifles.. I do know a good deal about hand guns, but hunting gear is somewhat new to me.

im going to be hunting deer in the 2-400 yard range, and would like a rifle and scope combo accurate to 600 yards. I need to stay under $2000.00. Please give me some suggestions as to where the best places to price out online would be.. and i do have a bass pro half hour away if need be. thanks for the help, looking forward to hearing back.

I was looking into the Remington Model 700 XCR (.300) good choice?
Old 11-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Spike

I have a 243wssm and love it. It drops then long distance.. Hard to find the wssm anymore, they didnt last.

If I were to go buy a rifle tommorow it would be a 25-06
Are you going only for whitetail or maybe or some other big game one day with it? 2000k is alot.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by 243wssmslayer
I have a 243wssm and love it. It drops then long distance.. Hard to find the wssm anymore, they didnt last.

If I were to go buy a rifle tommorow it would be a 25-06
Are you going only for whitetail or maybe or some other big game one day with it? 2000k is alot.
Eventually i'd like to go bigger. I travel a lot, and all of my buddies would love to go up north and hunt moose or caribou.. But most of the time it's just gonna be your basic whitetail here in La.. nd ideally, i'd like to stay around 1500.. 2000 is just in case theres something i fall in love with
Old 11-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

spend as much if not more on your scope as you do on your rifle.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by NC Buck Slayer
spend as much if not more on your scope as you do on your rifle.
any suggestions? for both? Something easy to find locally would be ideal.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

Sako montana in 300 wsm if you are a 1 gun kind of guy. you cant go wrong with a leupold 3x9 vxll or a ziess conquest scope. whats available near you? go shopping. give us more details.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

That would be a great rifle for the ranges you are going to shoot. But so would the 270 or 7mm mag. I owned a Remington 700 XCR in 300 WSM. Beautiful rifle and handles quite well if your not recoil shy. Only reason I sold it was I never used it in the woods all that much and ammo was $40.00 or more a box. The other reason was I just cant seem to find anything that handles better then my Remington 7600 for the type of hunting I do. Head to your local gun shop and pick up a bunch of rifles bringing them to your shoulder as if you were going to shoot, pointing at the ceiling or wall obviously, and find what fits you best. Then decide on caliber.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Typical Buck

Go with the .300 wsm or the 7mm rem mag if you are looking to shoot way out there, I just bought the 7mm rem mag browning a-bolt myself and love the gun, the recoil aint to bad neither I guess thats because the gun is a little heaver than my others. Far as scopes Id go with the nikon or the leupold, both are very nice scopes.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Southern Buck
Go with the .300 wsm or the 7mm rem mag if you are looking to shoot way out there, I just bought the 7mm rem mag browning a-bolt myself and love the gun, the recoil aint to bad neither I guess thats because the gun is a little heaver than my others. Far as scopes Id go with the nikon or the leupold, both are very nice scopes.
I use the Rem 700 in a 300 win mag with a Leupold 3-9X50 VX1. The rifle is a little heavy but I can handle it. The scope brings in soooo much light when its gets dark. I could hunt all night on a full moon if it was legal.

But really, dont buy a cheap scope.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Spike

I have a 300wby mag, and I know You could drop deer with it at 600yds. It has incredible knock down power, and is big enough to take anything in north america. The only draw back is price of ammo. Weatherby factory ammo around here is anywhere from $50-$80 a box of 20 I personally would recommend a Weatherby Vanguard in Sub MOA 3shots under inch at 100yds factory, or just a plain Vanguard (3 shots under 1 1/2 inches at 100yds. They have extremely smooth actions from the factory, and have an accuracy guarantee. 300Win Mag would be my next on list ammo is pretty cheap, and its velocities are only about 200-300fps under the wby mag. As for a scope, I've had a bushnell banner on mine(300wby) for 5 months and it holds zero time and time again. You dont have to spend $500 to get a scope thats going to perform as Youd like. I would recommend a nikon, but whatever you get, make sure its mounted properly, and recheck rings(tighten) before sighting it in. Also, I sight all my rifles in at 100yds exactly, 1- 1 1/2 inches high, that way out to 300yds I can pretty much hold right on where I want to hit and know it will be there. Practice Practice Practice!!!!! Ohh and Good Luck huntin!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.