Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What do you do with your deer horns? >

What do you do with your deer horns?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do you do with your deer horns?

Old 11-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Spike

i love doing the skull mount. and since you only capped him, you can still do the skull mount with this new kit from cabelas

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...cat280001&rid=
Old 11-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

skull mounts for me too...

did 1 skull cap and i was 15 or 16 hunting with dad..didnt have much say in it...doesnt look nearly as nice as the skull mounts IMO...

i did that one in the pic myself...pretty simple process...can find directions online if you wanna try it next time...or you can find a taxidermist or someone else that has dermestid beetles that will clean the skull...alot of guys do just skull cleaning and whitening and arent taxidermists and can have it done for 100$ or less if you didnt wanna mess with it yourself...
Old 11-10-2009, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I kill them ahead of deer dogs I put them on the front of my kennels. The rest are hanging on the trusses of my shed. This year after hunting season I am going to cover one side of the shed in them; I'm sure my wife will love that....

I hunt with some guys that cover their deer camp cook shack in antlers. It's unique and very cool. It's similar to a small pole barn covered in antlers.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:30 AM
Spike

We used to keep all of ours, my brother made a chandelier out of them for my Mom and Dad's house.

If I don't want to mount the deer I normally give the rack to a kid at deer camp. They get giddy and carry them around all season. It makes their day and I am glad to provide that. Some may think it is crazy to give them away, but I have no use for them.

I have suggested the antlers in the cook shack idea this year. We may start doing that.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know for some reason I'm not crazy about the Euro Mounts with the whole skull. I wanted to just cut the antlers off so that's what we did. I'm actually happy with how they look other than trying to get all the hair off. I may end up trying that next time though.

For the boiling it do you just get water boiling and stick them in there or what? I don't want to mess them up in anyway.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

The best time to get the hide off the antlers is right when you cut the skull cap off the head. the hide is still pliable and comes off easily.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

Skull mounts are nice..
Old 11-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Spike

Default Iron Buck

Check out the Iron Buck plaques for antlers. They are simple and really don't look too bad. You put your antler cap in them, tighten the screw and hang them on the wall.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Nalgi
they are antlers not horns. Antlers fall off annually horns stay on.

If I dont mount it I have them around the yard as part of the landscaping. I'm having a friend make me a knife from some elk antler i have.

Thank you for pointing that out. The usage of horns/antlers has always been a pet peeve of mine.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

grind'em up and slip the powder into un-suspecting womens drink at the bar, don't use too much though, and don't say i didn't warn you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.