Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First Time

Old 11-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Spike

Default First Time

Like many new guys I need some assistance and was wondering if anyone could help. I will provide as many details as possible.

I am hunting deer for the first time on a 20 acres piece of land in Maine. It is in zone 17 and looks to be one of the better zones to hunt. Unfortunately I live and work 4 hours away and don't have any breaks for work. Hunting on Sundays is illegal. This means I drive up on Friday night set up a small camp outside my friends house and get at it Saturday morning.

The property is 20 acres, has a small house with pens for livestock, half an acre planted and a acre field. This specific area has little hunting pressure although I heard plenty of shots in the surrounding area. The deer have a bog and water supply with tracks leading there. They have small crops of beans, and they seem to hit the corn that falls out from the bull pen. The tracks head from the bog to the food source and then through the acre of field up a hill and into the woods. There ar many tracks in the woods and the field if all sizes. I am certain that the deer are going uphill to the woods but am not sure if this indicates that they are bedding there or eating acrons there.

The first weekend provided a lot of information but didn't end with a buck. We found two food sources that they are hitting daily.

Entering at the east side of the property starts with the house and camp. Going west for 50 yards are the bulls and beans. Just past that is the 1 acre field. West, past the field, is young coniferus forest. South of the field is the bog and steam. North of the field is hardwoods with mature oaks and beech trees. The deer tracks link the bog, the food, and both of the wooded lots.

We have a stand up on the northeast side of the field as well as a spot just above the bulls to teh far east side of the field where we can sit. There is a west wind in general but when I was out on Saturday it seemed to shift all day. I was getting a south wind while I was in teh stand blowing my scent to whatever deer was on the north side in the woods.

I also did some scouting and put my scent all over. I wore ruber boots and am done with the scouting.

Do you think my scouting will ruin the season? The deer seem to feel comfortable coming near the house and need the food plot. Should I set up closest to the bulls at the far east of the field with a westerly wind. Should I hunt early morning and early evening or all day? I would hate to figit and miss something good. If I have confirmed deering moving through the field sould I even use a call or scent? I don't want to spook them using too much scent of making the wrong call.

I would appreciate any input you have both in the field and on the forum. For example, more of less info.

Regards.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm trying to envision everything you handed out for info...

Well first off you can't shot a deer if you are not in the woods, so that answers which time is best - ALL the time! * Although my experience is that I don't have much luck with winds much past 20 mph, so try if you like...

The Great "WHITE" North is a great place to track with the "white stuff", so take vacation time once you hear there is snow coming to an end!

Patience & confidence is key to beating the bush ALL day long, so stay focused...

A great learning DVD is the Blood Brothers "Hill Country". There is only a few kills on this DVD, but a boat-load of things to look for during your scouting...

Lastly, If you don't have much experience with your hunting area the only way to learn these woods is to dive into them! Sometimes you can stumble onto a honey-hole right away and sometimes it takes a few years to put together pieces of the puzzle - keep trying you'll at least enjoy the peace and quiet of the woods!!! I like to call it therapy...

Good Luck...
Old 11-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Spike

Thanks for the help. I know my original post is a bit disorganized.

Even in the first weekend I have learned a lot, not just about how to hunt, but about why to hunt. My heart gets going when I see the tracks in the snow or see that they have hit the food plot. I can only imagine what it will feel like when I actually see a deer.

And if I don't? Well not seeing anything at all and getting into the woods is much better than the daily rat race called life.

Regards.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Spike

Hey I'm from Maine and I hunt in zone 17 also. Hudson to be specific. Definetly hunt on the swamp. Is it swail grass? if so hunt on it because the deer around there are attracted to the swail. The does seem to love to bed in it even if theres an inch of water and the bucks will be following the does. Get out there and watch the edges of that swamp!
Justin
Old 11-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Spike

At the bog I am going to be hunting near/on it goes stright from the young coniferus forest to the bog which has some huge fallen trees in it. There are tracks coming straight out of the water and also along the beaver dam.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

Deer like the edges, like a clear field next to the woods. Look for chest high overhangs, you might find a scrap line. You can also make your own scrap, you just need to do a few things. Find the overhead branch at chest level. H.S. has a product called lick-N-stick, get it. Now get some doe urine, or estrus and put a few drops in an area under the branches that you scratch out about a two foot circle and put up your stand at the best shot area, and pick a spot.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Spike

Default Thanks again everyone!

Now does it matter if the rub is set up near the food source? should they be kept seperate?

I know I am supposed to limit my scent in the field, if i stopmed around last a few days ago setting up a camera and a tree stand do you think they will be spooked? They came in early Sunday morning and chowed down. I think I just answered my own question.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Spike

Im telling you sit near that beaver dam or where ever the best trails coming out of the swamp are. Thats where the big boys live!
Old 11-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

i dont think ur scouting ruined ur season u did ur best to control scent u should be fine. u can even try finding alternate routes to and from ur stand to prevent spooking any deer in the area. NOW what im about to say is just my thoughts and suggestions. if u have already have idea of where they are feeding and bedding i would try to put a stand somewhere in between. make sure u can work with ur west wind though. i personally would put a stand in the pine forest u mentioned. put it somewhere on the southside of the pines..deer love pines becasue of the cover, and keeps the snow and wind off them, i say the southside because thats where the sun will hit them when they bed...i imagine maine has some hills correct?? south-side facing slopes is where they like to bed. if the acorns are dropping thats were i would be 2. check the feild edges and wood lines for scrapes and rubs, and logging roads if there are any. i am not by any means a whitetail expert but just being in the woods will u gain all the info u need. if u hunt the food thats where the deer will be at. if u find the does the bucks will be close. good luck bro!!
Old 11-10-2009, 06:17 AM
Spike

Can I tell you, of all the hobbies and activities I have been involved with hunting has had the best community by far. Surfers want you out of their spot, rock climbers insist your not doing it the right way, but hunters just seem more relaxed. It's a very good thing guys. I appreciate the help.

All the input has been great. As, far as the original post and replies you all have been dead on. The largest tracks have been over by the beaver dam. I have a stand that is very close to the house and food plot. This is because it is the farthest east and I don't really have toe walk and get my scent in the field by crossing it. I can see the tracks where they move daily I just need to catch them on the move.

The stand that I mentioned has a great view of a trail that comes out to the food plot and it's only about 30 yards from the stand. The trail to the pine forest is about 100 yards away. Finally, many of the track swander up the hill which I have a tougher shot on but it is still available.

Thanks again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.