Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I give up

Old 11-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Spike

Default I give up

For years now i have been hunting a piece of ground with one 80 acre field in the middle. It has always provided me with plenty of deer and some really good bucks. Now i have to share with 2 other guys the landlord has give permission to.Last year during muzzleloader season I was watching the biggest deer ever walk down the west side of the field. Knowing the wind was right, I was hid well, I decided to let him close the distance and shoot him around 50 yards. All at once he just turned and ran. I looked across the field to see the other guys stand(upwind) had 3 great big scent rags hanging off of it. He had'nt hunted in a week.
Now this year (bow season)I walked up to the fields edge just to look at one of my favorite stands and I see a deer way off in the field. It is almost dark but i can still see it. So I pull up my binos and look at it. I can tell it is a little buk so I'm trying to get a good look when all the sudden up to him walks this guy. It's his decoy. No big deal except he picks it up then goes over and sticks it in the ground just inside the tree line beneath his stand. Then he walks out. So this decoy is hanging around even right now. Who knows what he's scented it with. If a mature buck sees it tries to fight it or plain smells it is he ever gonna be back? Should i just give up and go elsewhere?
Old 11-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

That may be your only remaining option, since the landlord has given these new huter permission to hunt. Otherwise get together with them and work out some sort of truce.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

That small parcel is barely big enough for one person. I suggest if you still want to hunt it, is to stay off the field and scout for trails entering or leaving the field for a morning or evening hunt. It also may pay dividends to hunt it in the middle of the day. I'm confident the deer there have them patterned better than they do the deer. LOL!

Play a different game and attack away from the field. They'll never know what him 'em.

iSnipe
Old 11-09-2009, 04:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you have had a long time good relationship with the landowner I would go to him, have a cup of coffee, and let him know of your problems. It may be that you would need to provide proof of hunters insurance and offer to pay six or so dollars an acre for the exclusive hunting rights to keep the hunting land.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know it sucks. I have to deal with the same kind of ignorant people hunting where I hunt. You can do one of two things... Deal with it or find somewhere else to hunt.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Yup I agree.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would go to landlord politely and discuss your problems. If he doesn't agree with you, discuss you leasing the land for yourself.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Spike

I have arranged for a get together. Let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing like seeing someone trying to make things happen. I like it! That's how to get things done!

Good luck,

iSnipe
Old 11-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

Good luck, I hope you can lease that land or otherwise get sole rights to hunt it. It seems like, even though they say hunters are fewer in number, that all of them that are left are wanting to crowd me too. I try and keep a few acres off limits for just me and everybody wants to come to my stand and see how I'm doing if I turn off my phone. All my best acres are leased to others to hunt, and I'd just like to be left alone. I spend a fortune every year to lease land and sublet it to people from all over the nation, and out of the many hundreds of acres I'd love to be left alone in my 40. But, it doesn't ever seem to work that way. I spend so much time caring for the land and trying to keep it private, and then hunting season comes and everyone has a great time and gets a good buck except for me.
But if I didn't have my own lease and guys to help pay for it, I would have nowhere at all to hunt. The time when you could hunt anywhere you wanted to in this county are long gone. You either have land, or money to lease land, or you don't hunt at all,or you crowd onto public land and watch the orange outfit parade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.