HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   whitetail problems (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/309248-whitetail-problems.html)

heavenlykid 11-06-2009 06:26 PM

whitetail problems

OK i scouted all summer recorded habits etc and so on i have seen deer every day on a regular basis from the start of season till the last week in October every day i had deer in shooting range. i killed a doe 3rd day of season. still seen deer everyday after that until the last week of October now I'm lucky if i see a deer a week and they never come into shooting range. they always seen to stay 100 yards or so away. i have been feeding them corn and apples for months. but now all the sudden they aren't coming in to eat anymore. however i know they are eating because the corn keeps disappearing with it all pawed out on the ground where the corn was. I'm not sure if they are feeding in the dark now or what. all in all I'm getting very aggravated that every day i could have picked a deer and kept waiting on a monster and now all the sudden i cant even get them to come any where near me. I'm careful not to leave my scent anywhere and i always make sure i never leave any traces of my being there other than my stands. i have multiple stands set up to chose from so i can switch as the wind changes. but all in all in the last 2 weeks i have seen 6 deer total and none of them ever came with in 100 yards. does any one have any clue on what i might have done to cause this????? could it be rut or pressure or ????? any help would be awesome

SyPTo 11-06-2009 06:46 PM

you could try hanging a cam on the feed spot and see if they are feeding at night...it could be pressure , i don't know if your the only hunter in that area ...but enough pressure can cause habit changes , that and the weather.

aslo i don't see anydeer on my feed areas cause they are eating acorns , why would you drive to mcdonalds for a cheese burger , when theres a steak in your kitchen that just came off the grill......deer in my area won't touch the corn untill the acorns are gone , and they won't have to travel that far in most cases to get from their bedding areas to teh acorns...they are a plenty everywhere.

NC Buck Slayer 11-07-2009 02:41 PM

Id get something that can shoot past 100 yards.

1shotkill1993 11-07-2009 04:48 PM

Your land must be over-pressured. Sounds like they've gone noctornal

Remnard 11-07-2009 06:14 PM

i killed a doe 3rd day of season.

I think you answered your own question. Deer react very quickly to hunting pressure. without knowing if they can see you on your stand etc, there's too many variables. try hunting from a ground blind for a bit and see if you start getting closer to them.

heavenlykid 11-09-2009 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by 1shotkill1993 (Post 3498466)
Your land must be over-pressured. Sounds like they've gone nocturnal

OK after much discouragement you are right i have been going up in my stand at like 4 am and lo and behold not even an hour later i had 6 deer feeding on the corn. I'm the only one who hunts on my land but the property behind mine is hunted by 4 guys and i think because they are hunting almost every day they have changed their habits so now my question is what do i do ????

heavenlykid 11-09-2009 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Remnard (Post 3498554)
i killed a doe 3rd day of season.

I think you answered your own question. Deer react very quickly to hunting pressure. without knowing if they can see you on your stand etc, there's too many variables. try hunting from a ground blind for a bit and see if you start getting closer to them.

i still seen deer every day for almost 2 weeks after i killed her

halfbakedi420 11-09-2009 07:27 AM

if they are nocturnal, then ya gonna have to get ready fer the rut...everything you could possibly do to lure in the big boys is your only chance...another thing that will help is to cut a lane...and today aint bad..i cut one last year they were on it that night and everyday of last season...it will not scare the deer away, instead it was like the whole deer community came to see their new gazebo!!!

i saw a study that said every buck will make a longer journey than usual durin the rut, jus one time, so all the bucks will be wonderin where to go, like bein in a different state and lookin fer a party and ya dont know anyone.....look fer the house with the loudest music!!!!so be the party and you'll have more luck..

also, i think the deer know when its deer season ..if they been around fer awhile they will tend to "know" when dying season opens...like their internal clock if you will..

early mornings and right b4 the sun is gone will be your best chance if ya cant cut a lane this year, but for next year..doit right befor the season starts and put out a feeder....if you build it they will come!!!!!!!:patriot:

cwanty03 11-09-2009 09:08 AM

ya sounds like pressure 2 me 2....sounds like your doing a lot to limit it also....but the rut in unpredictable....whatever you can do to benefit your land, do it. let the deer know your land may be safer ya know

heavenlykid 11-09-2009 08:52 PM

[QUOTE=halfbakedi420;3499715]...another thing that will help is to cut a lane...
QUOTE]

ok i think im on same page but what actually do you mean by cut a lane. its in the woods and there are some pretty open areas.