Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Butchering deer for xtra cash? >

Butchering deer for xtra cash?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Butchering deer for xtra cash?

Old 11-08-2009, 12:39 AM
Fork Horn

my brother and i hunt hard,i butcher my own and he takes his to the butcher

he is just as much of a hunter as i am. he would help me skin, drag, gut or butcher my deer if i ever asked. but then again it must be that irish and german in him.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buck-i
my brother and i hunt hard,i butcher my own and he takes his to the butcher

he is just as much of a hunter as i am. he would help me skin, drag, gut or butcher my deer if i ever asked. but then again it must be that irish and german in him.
The Irish and German in him? You mean the same Irish/German that's in you too? Unless your mom got around...

I would like you explain the relevancy of his heritage to his willingness to butcher deer, though.

Mike
Old 11-08-2009, 05:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DannyD
they get $50 around here. That includes all meat being shrinkwrapped
Quite a bargin.! Around my neck of the woods they get $80 on up. They don't shrink wrap it either. Hell, to "donate" a deer it's $15 on up!
Old 11-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

hmmmmmmmmmmm i butcher for myself and have helped friends ... i never would do it for money . I can butcher a deer in about 2 hours including vacume sealing with my wifes help ... i bought a grinder so i can make my own burger add pork butts for my sausage . I do it because i have seen gut shot deer .... deer hung in trees till black mud dirt and all go on the table and through the grinder one right after another .... that said i want my own meat back ... and i want it clean.A deer proccesser will never tare down his equipment and clean it after a gut shot deer They dont trim out all the silver tissue and pick the hairs off,and some wont bone meet they just run it through the band saw .... I dont blame him if he is handling hundreds of deer a day. Im just not interested in sombody out side of my wife or i handling my meat...
Old 11-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

Be sure you have a perfectly clean and sanitary place to do it, and an appropriate cooler. (The just ok scenario many of us may get by with for a single deer or two a year is a far cry from what we would consider acceptable from someone we are paying to do it). Do you have the means to get rid of the byproducts..legally?
Are you prepared for all the dissatisfied customers you will have? (not questioning your work or honesty, just fact of life in any business).
Old 11-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Daveboone
Be sure you have a perfectly clean and sanitary place to do it, and an appropriate cooler. (The just ok scenario many of us may get by with for a single deer or two a year is a far cry from what we would consider acceptable from someone we are paying to do it). Do you have the means to get rid of the byproducts..legally?
Are you prepared for all the dissatisfied customers you will have? (not questioning your work or honesty, just fact of life in any business).
Great post to get this thread back on track. Anybody that's ever had to deal with the public will tell you that there is always somebody that will find something wrong with everything they pay you to do.

My opinion is that if your less concerned with the "going rate" and more concerned with the "going quality" you won't have any problem getting customers. What I mean is, if you're going to charge the same price, make sure it's the same quality. I'm not suggesting that you're not good at butchering, it's just something to keep in mind when your competition is a pro.

I butcher my own deer, but would never think about charging somebody to butcher their's. I'm just not good enough at it.

Have fun if you decide to do it.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by early in
Quite a bargin.! Around my neck of the woods they get $80 on up. They don't shrink wrap it either. Hell, to "donate" a deer it's $15 on up!
Yeah it is a bargain but i actually roll my own anyway. Most places just let ya drop it off if it's going to the hunters for Hungry program
Old 11-10-2009, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vabyrd
Get some Dexter-Russell boning knives. It's what your grocery store butcher uses. Great blades, high carbon, good edge, plus you can get a 6" boning knife for about $15 on ebay. Hats off to a fella taking the dirty work. Quite frankly nothing ticks me off more than a "hunter" (and I mean quote!) that won't learn how to process their own meat. I don't care what the excuse is, hunting is from scouting to the pan. Knuckheads will spend weeks tweaking a stupid load for their rifle, but won't educate themselves on how to make steaks, roasts, and loin. Maybe I'm nuts, but the best part of the hunt is when its all over and I'm sitting at a table with a glass of merlot, a piece of venison, and good company. And for crying out loud, the guys that make jerky out of everything....What??

It's a shame that most posts are about the best caliber and scores rather than the real reason for hunting.

HORSE POOP!!!
Quite a few poeple I know (i believe you referred to them as Knuckleheads) live in apartment complexes that have no facility for them to hang the deer and process it themselves.
And yes they are hunters. They don't live up to standards as published by the great Vabyrd but are by any other starndard very good hunters and great guys.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Is it legal to do this at your house?
If your doing this out of your garage etc, you're opening yourself up to a whole lot of issues depending on where you live. Legally you would need to file papaerwork with the NYS health dept, and get inspected before you could do anything. The y basicaly look at this as you are opening a buthcher shop and the paperwork invloved with it is mind blowing.

Get some one sick with Ecoli etc. and your going to loose everything you have.You have a walk in cooler at your house, if the health dept walks in and you just have deer hanging they will put a thermometer in the carcass and if its not where it should be they will make sure you don't use it. I've seen them spray bleach on things before.

They will want you to have stainless steel tables and you'll also need hot and cold running water.

Zoning you zoned residental? One neighbor calls and the town will shut you down.

Last edited by Charlie P; 11-10-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vabyrd
Get some Dexter-Russell boning knives. It's what your grocery store butcher uses. Great blades, high carbon, good edge, plus you can get a 6" boning knife for about $15 on ebay. Hats off to a fella taking the dirty work. Quite frankly nothing ticks me off more than a "hunter" (and I mean quote!) that won't learn how to process their own meat. I don't care what the excuse is, hunting is from scouting to the pan. Knuckheads will spend weeks tweaking a stupid load for their rifle, but won't educate themselves on how to make steaks, roasts, and loin. Maybe I'm nuts, but the best part of the hunt is when its all over and I'm sitting at a table with a glass of merlot, a piece of venison, and good company. And for crying out loud, the guys that make jerky out of everything....What??

It's a shame that most posts are about the best caliber and scores rather than the real reason for hunting.
My thoughts exactly!! You can't imagine how many hunters out there have never done it or even watched someone else do it. In my mind the only people worthy of the name "hunter" are the ones who can handle to job after the deer is on the ground. In some parts of the country they don't even gut them by themselves. They take them to the butcher guts and all! I totally agree with you on the jerky part also. It's a complete waste of venison in my opinion. You can buy meat for .89 cents a pound and make jerky out of it, why use venison?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.