Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Butchering deer for xtra cash? >

Butchering deer for xtra cash?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Butchering deer for xtra cash?

Old 11-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by teedub31
What does "Cash" have to do with it. The butcher still has to report it on his taxes unless he wants to be a crook. I have always laughed at the whole "Cash" argument as an excuse for tax evasion.
Oh please ,what do we have IRS collection agents on here now? anyone who says they ve reported every dime they ever made is FOC! Heck the current UStreasury sec. is a tax cheat (and not a couple hundred bucks for cuttin up some deer either)Thanks for the posts guys, but I really just wanted to know if anyone ever did any deer butchering out of their house for some xtra coin and how it worked out, so if anyone does, please post, thanks!
Old 11-06-2009, 11:27 PM
Fork Horn

I know a guy round here who field dresses deer for $50. each at a locker, then the locker takes them in and charges $75. for basic cuts and wrap. This is done with permission of a locker that is swamped with business and doesn't take deer not field dressed so this guys hangs out there all weekend and makes a few grand for winter bills. The locker provides scrap bins and he does his own thing at his own rate and helps them out in the parking area.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Typical Buck

I use a amish butcher,tried it myself once. To much work after a hard day hunting. I hunt for fun,When it becomes work I am not interested. I always have them add 30 lbs of beef burger to the venison and only get burger ,but mostly bagged summer sweet boloney. Around 85.00 The summer boloney takes about 8 weeks in the smoker.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Going rate here .65/lb hanging carcass weight + $25.00 bone dispersal fee. So on a 100lb hanging carcass, basic cut and wrap is going to be 90.00. If you want it boned out add 15-25. I charge .65/lb (hanging wieght) cut and wrap for boned out meat. .25/lb for ground packaged meat. Skinning and cleaning are extra, how much depends entirely on the shape when I get it.

EXTRA money what extra money, I spend it all on more equipment it seems. Still enjoy it though!
Old 11-07-2009, 04:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by driftrider
So if a guy lacks the equipment and space to properly butcher a deer and process it the way they like it, then they're not a real hunter? Sure, whatever you say... I've done it before, but I prefer to just spend the money for the conveinience of having someone else dirty their kitchen. And what if jerky is what someone likes? What difference does it make to you if a guy prefers to drink beer and gnaw on venison jerky rather than sip wine he doesn't like and eat a venison steak that he doesn't like either? I guess I'll just be less of a hunter, then, because me and my family prefer venison summer sausage to tough gamey round steaks.

Mike
A $15 boning knife, cutting board, and a kitchen table are pretty hard to come by. We hunt to eat venison, right? I mean other than that why else? I guess if you're a rack hunter than processing doesn't matter, but then again, why not just look for sheds. Population control and crop damage, blah,blah.. There is no such thing as tough gamey round steaks, just people that can't cook. Maybe its my indian blood, but it think the animal deserves more than having its antlers removed and left to rot. But then again, no one really cared about what we think anyway.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

SCrew the irs. There not the issue. The fda is. Though i don't think you get any trouple. Alot of people do it at there house. As for the "cash" thing. Here is the deal with it. If you give me cash there is no paper work to trace no check no bank account to account for. But if you give me cash for something then right it off your taxes guess what. NOrmaly cash will get you around the IRS. Plus to even pay taxs you have to make over the poverty level. You ant going to by butchering deer at your house. Make me a crook or not if i can keep 40% in my pocket and out of the lazy ***** down the street who got a hand out so be it
Old 11-07-2009, 04:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I bet it is nice to get that nice new expensive grinder and tell your wife is a business expense.
Originally Posted by skeeter 7MM
Going rate here .65/lb hanging carcass weight + $25.00 bone dispersal fee. So on a 100lb hanging carcass, basic cut and wrap is going to be 90.00. If you want it boned out add 15-25. I charge .65/lb (hanging wieght) cut and wrap for boned out meat. .25/lb for ground packaged meat. Skinning and cleaning are extra, how much depends entirely on the shape when I get it.

EXTRA money what extra money, I spend it all on more equipment it seems. Still enjoy it though!
Old 11-07-2009, 05:02 AM
Typical Buck

The only reason I bring up the whole tax evasion issue of "Cash" is due to all the "you break a single hunting law you are a worthless poacher that does not deserve to live" attitudes on this board and how these posters are morally superior to all other posters. All I am saying is that you can't cherrypick laws when talking moral authority. You butcher deer for "Cash" and don't report you are a crook just like a worthless poacher.

And Geithner aint the issue. What you do is the issue. According to that statement, you say because someone else does it makes it alright?? Well then poach away cause there are lots of guys that do it.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:09 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
SCrew the irs. There not the issue. The fda is. Though i don't think you get any trouple. Alot of people do it at there house. As for the "cash" thing. Here is the deal with it. If you give me cash there is no paper work to trace no check no bank account to account for. But if you give me cash for something then right it off your taxes guess what. NOrmaly cash will get you around the IRS. Plus to even pay taxs you have to make over the poverty level. You ant going to by butchering deer at your house. Make me a crook or not if i can keep 40% in my pocket and out of the lazy ***** down the street who got a hand out so be it
I don't disagree with everything you said, although I pay "cash" to lots of people but write it off my taxes, it is their repsonsibility to report it not mine. Cash does not have anything to do with lake of a paper trail cause if you look hard enough you will always find it.

Most everyone I know that butcher, do it as a second source of income. They are above poverty thus the additional few grand are subject to taxes that you must pay.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by teedub31
What does "Cash" have to do with it. The butcher still has to report it on his taxes unless he wants to be a crook. I have always laughed at the whole "Cash" argument as an excuse for tax evasion.
The whole cash thing for a small amount of money is nothing more than not making a business out of it. Factor in all the deductions, home, equipment etc. and time needed to do taxes no wonder many people just take the cash and not get involved with the IRS when they are dealing with small amounts. If I were to process wild game for money and planned on doing a half dozen animals a year you can bet I wouldn't want to start a small business. As far as tax evasion who is the bad guy here? Our government is pillaging our hard earned money as we speak and we can't do a damn thing about it. Pay or go to jail is the threat and personally I am sick and tired of paying for the fat government to squander our money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.