Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Butchering deer for xtra cash? >

Butchering deer for xtra cash?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Butchering deer for xtra cash?

Old 11-07-2009, 05:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
The whole cash thing for a small amount of money is nothing more than not making a business out of it. Factor in all the deductions, home, equipment etc. and time needed to do taxes no wonder many people just take the cash and not get involved with the IRS when they are dealing with small amounts. If I were to process wild game for money and planned on doing a half dozen animals a year you can bet I wouldn't want to start a small business. As far as tax evasion who is the bad guy here? Our government is pillaging our hard earned money as we speak and we can't do a damn thing about it. Pay or go to jail is the threat and personally I am sick and tired of paying for the fat government to squander our money.
I agree with what you said considering taxes. But the law is the law. And as far as the bad guy?? Thaat is not the issue. The issue I was making is you can't justify in any way breaking laws you disagree with while claiming moral authority on hunting laws. It smacks of hypocrisy which IMO is worse then breaking most any law outside of murder/rape and child abuse becasue it speaks volumes about your thought process and character.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:47 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by skeeter 7MM
Going rate here .65/lb hanging carcass weight + $25.00 bone dispersal fee. So on a 100lb hanging carcass, basic cut and wrap is going to be 90.00. If you want it boned out add 15-25. I charge .65/lb (hanging wieght) cut and wrap for boned out meat. .25/lb for ground packaged meat. Skinning and cleaning are extra, how much depends entirely on the shape when I get it.

EXTRA money what extra money, I spend it all on more equipment it seems. Still enjoy it though!

$50 bucks in East Central Indiana for anything under 125 lbs. $60 for 125 to 150 lbs and $65 for anything over 150 lbs.

Seeing as how eveyone I have used skins a deer in under 1 minute, I would have a hard time paying to have it skinned. They all use a 2 ton motorized hoist to pull the hide off like a sweater. Caping is at a price though of $5 or $10 dependeing on butcher.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by vabyrd
A $15 boning knife, cutting board, and a kitchen table are pretty hard to come by. We hunt to eat venison, right? I mean other than that why else? I guess if you're a rack hunter than processing doesn't matter, but then again, why not just look for sheds. Population control and crop damage, blah,blah.. There is no such thing as tough gamey round steaks, just people that can't cook. Maybe its my indian blood, but it think the animal deserves more than having its antlers removed and left to rot. But then again, no one really cared about what we think anyway.

Hey Vabyrd -
I have never shot a buck in my life (to each his own).
I am a meat hunter, and have always been fortunate enough to find a nice young doe before a big ole buck.
Like I said tho... everyone makes their own decisions in the field. I scout the hard way, with no trail cam (can't afford one), watch scrapes, tracks, rubs etc all year to get a better idea of where I'll hunt. I hunt within walking distance of my house, even if it is a few miles. If I harvest a deer I then drag it ALL the way back, butcher myself (can't afford to pay for it), I use as much of the animal as I can, and the rest goes to dogs, cats chickens or compost. no waste!

I am sure if I had the financial ability at this stage in my life I would have a bad boy buggy, better gear, and have someone else process my meat, but I am glad that I grew up doing it the hard way from tracking to eating! It makes me appreciate it that much more.

Long story short... there are still some of us out there that think like you and really respect the animals that put food on the table

* (NOT INSINUATING THAT ANYONE ON HERE DOESN'T RESPECT THERE KILLS)

Take care
BDB
Old 11-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by teedub31
You butcher deer for "Cash" and don't report you are a crook just like a worthless poacher.
Ive never taken a dime of the govts money ,but theyve taken a boatload of mine,and gave it to bottomfeeders who dont earn squat in exchage for votes, so tell me, who s the real crook? ...to equate keeping your hard earned $ w/ illegally taking wildlife is a bit of a stretch, I think.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
Ive never taken a dime of the govts money ,but theyve taken a boatload of mine,and gave it to bottomfeeders who dont earn squat in exchage for votes, so tell me, who s the real crook? ...to equate keeping your hard earned $ w/ illegally taking wildlife is a bit of a stretch, I think.
Never say never. You are gonna find urself in the SS Medicare game soon enough in which you will draw more in benefits then you ever thought of paying in.

Now please listen to me for the 3rd time. I completely agree with you on the tax issue. That is not the issue. The issue is following the law. YOu can't pick and chose which law you want to follow and expect me to have respect for your opinions because yoo following the letter of the law in one instance because of a hunters code, and completely ignore the laws that apply in other aspects of your life.

You are mad about the FEDs taking your money. Rightfully so. But why aren't you made about the laws the state has placed upon you when it comes to harvesting deer on your own land. You should be advocating for open seasons on your owqn property. Hunting laws should only apply to game hunted on state owned grounds not private ground. HOws that for government intrusivenss. I know that the state will say that they are the states animals and that is why the can have rules governing the harvest of game. Well if they are the states animals then they should be paying landowners rent for allowing the states animals to range on the private ground.

But I digress............
Old 11-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BIG DONNIE BRASCO
Long story short... there are still some of us out there that think like you and really respect the animals that put food on the table

* (NOT INSINUATING THAT ANYONE ON HERE DOESN'T RESPECT THERE KILLS)

Take care
BDB
You may not think you did but you did by saying that guys like you really respect the food while everyone else just respects their kill. Funny how that one little word conveys that you subconciously wrote can convey you opinion of how others hunt even if you did not want to convey that message which I think you did not by the attempted disclaimer you wrote at the end.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never say never. You are gonna find urself in the SS Medicare game soon enough in which you will draw more in benefits then you ever thought of paying in.

You are mad about the FEDs taking your money. Rightfully so. But why aren't you made about the laws the state has placed upon you when it comes to harvesting deer on your own land. You should be advocating for open seasons on your owqn property. Hunting laws should only apply to game hunted on state owned grounds not private ground. HOws that for government intrusivenss. .
SS??? Medicare????? HA!!!!!! read the news latley? theyre out of $$$. ther isnt going to be any SS in 30 years!

As for the NYS deer herd, its owned and governed by the state.Thats why I pay them a LIC. fee to kill 5 of them a year. My $ is MY $ until they take it, but it was never theirs 1st, so your point , no matter how many times you try to make it, is absurd w/ all due. Im against murdered rape and robbery, does that mean I have to support abortion too cause its a law? what biz is it of yours or anyone else how other forum members do their taxes anyway? Got any butchering expeirience youd like to share?
Old 11-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree with what you said considering taxes. But the law is the law. And as far as the bad guy?? Thaat is not the issue. The issue I was making is you can't justify in any way breaking laws you disagree with while claiming moral authority on hunting laws. It smacks of hypocrisy which IMO is worse then breaking most any law outside of murder/rape and child abuse becasue it speaks volumes about your thought process and character.
Wow where did that all come from. First and foremost I never said I was a moral authority on hunting laws or ethics. Second I never said I break or broke any laws relevent to taxes or any other law. My statement was not made from experience but rather from an argumentative point of view regarding your immediate position when I mentioned that people here cut up deer mostly on a cash basis. You came out of the gate looking like an idiot picking a fight. I have plenty of experience with part time and second income jobs. In my early years I got the 6 pack license and opened a charter fishing and tackle business. I operated that business for several years all within IRS guidelines. I became well acquainted with the tax code because following it per statute meant more money in my pocket. Today I probably pay more in taxes than many make a year...am not happy about it but that is what is necessary to stay on the right side of the law. My original point about a casual deer cutting operation running on cash was only telling the board how some people do it around here. I resent your inference that I am someone of questionable character.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

teedube, just stating how it is here. 90% of hunters here skin their own game, however their are a few who don't and those who don't field dress them either. IMHO these are parts of the hunt and hunters responsibility... No?? In any regards i charge for the service. I also charge when an animal is brought in poor shape and they expect good meat in return. Ie: moose dragged skinned through swamps, covered in loon crap, dirt and leaves. Deer with stomach contents left all over the meat. The list goes on. I think it disgraceful and YES I charge to try and salvage meat. Time is money.

Bigtime, my wife and I have been together for awhile, so we know better then not to ask what things cost. Less is more...LOL
Old 11-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Local butcher at the mom and pop supermarket charges $90 per deer to cut and wrap, more for sausage, etc., obviously. But when you figure he does at least 100 a year, that's a nice little supplement to his day job. He does all of it in his garage. He has an old walk in freezer to store everyone's deer in once cut and wrapped. Then he also has a couple of electric hoists to lift and hang the deer all around his garage. The floor is covered in flattened cardboard boxes to catch any blood. And he has seveal stainless steel tables and premo cutting equipment to do the processing. So while he makes a pretty penny, its a lot of work and he's got a lot of equipment invested in. Plus he rents two dumpsters for the carcasses during the nine day season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.