Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
I always hated BassPro.......... >

I always hated BassPro..........

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I always hated BassPro..........

Old 11-05-2009, 05:43 AM
Fork Horn

I was at basspro last year and I saw a guy, maybe 20, walk to the counter with his bow. I heard him tell the guy what he wanted and had to laugh when i heard him say, "and I want it sighted in for 20 yards with the top pin too." I'm guessing he was new so I'm not making fun, I just never heard that before, I'm thinking those guys get a lot of dumb questions which could make their patience run thin.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by StraightArrowNY
I didn't read where he told us how old Dan is.

My local Gander Mountain has 3 archery techs that I trust more than any small shop around. The problem is that there are times when none of them are working. That's my only issue with the big box stores. You never know who is going to be working that day.
Good catch... He was an older guy with grown kids
Old 11-05-2009, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

I've always had good experience at the archery shop in our bass pro. I bought my first bow ever from them,the redhead kronik and I had never even shot a bow until then.I told them guys that,they reccomended that bow and I told them that I wasn't leaving there until they got me shooting the bow fairly decent,in a matter of 30 mins after some quick lessons,they had me hitting the bullseye at 20 yds on their indoor range! I never felt rushed or anything,they took care of me!
Old 11-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

I took the used bow I bought a couple years ago to the one near us and spent $30 at most on things it needed....guy spent an hour and half helping me with it.

I gave that bow to someone in October because he wanted one but didn't have the money. I offered it to him for $50, he offered me a climber for it. We met in the middle, his wife took my son to school twice and watched my daughter once. He spent $10 on the bow and $30 on arrows at BP, the same guy spent three hours adjusting it to him, sighting in to 20yds and giving him tips. To top it off, he remembered the bow, a MacPherson Ultima, and helping me with it a few years before.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

My comment had nothing to do with Dans age, but I'd bet he's an experienced bowhunter or competitive shooter over 35, not in his 20's at his tenth job.
My wife and I both manage stores, or sections of stores anyway. Her at Wal Mart and I at a large fireworks chain some might know as Pyro City. We both also shop at Bass Pro usually together, because it's over 100 miles distant. And we have seen the same problems there that we experience ourselves in business. Kids growing up with way too much given to them, and no idea how to work or earn anything. About one in 50 has some potential to understand and take instruction, and a willingness to work, but are not qualified for some reason.. The rest move on to another desperate business within days or weeks. Of coarse it doesn't help that companies are greedy and wish to pay as little as possible, so older experienced people won't even apply.
So you need to fill a position, but can't pay what it's worth to get an experienced hard working person. So you get aps from 300 kids under 25 who have never worked in retail or at all, 200 won't even show to interview once it is established that a urine sample is required today. 50 have a very restricted work schedule due to health problems or higher education classes or kids at home, leaving you 50 people who are to be interviewed. You can bet 25 of those have criminal histories that involve stealing, leaving you 25 kids with no prior job experience who would love to work for you as long as it's not to hard and they can use their phones at work. You talk to them and hope to find a farmer in the group, or a small town kid who grew up working at home to survive. You narrow it down to 5 possibilities. Then you inform them they are being considered but they must understand that tobacco use and cell phones are completely banned at work. You just lost 4 more and have one choice left, and the position needs filled today. He can't start today, but will ask his mom if he can be there tomorrow. You're screwed! You may as well advertise the job again and hope someone comes along because this kid probably won't last either, that is if you even hired him after refusing to start when you needed him to start. Of coarse you will get all the same people applying over and over who don't understand why you don't hire them, and you have to explain why they are noy qualified.
No mam it doesn't matter if you promise only to smoke dope on your days off, I know you promise not to do it on work days, but, yes I know you have six kids to support, but,yes we try very hard not to discriminate against good people like you, but we cannot hire criminals while admittedly engaged in crime. Yes mam just one failed test and you are fired. Yes you may file an appeal with me and take the test again the same day. No you can't wait a week to test again. Yes mam, go ahead and get that litigation started and I'll see you in court. Yes, by all means do go and get high, it won't hurt your chances to work here any more than it already has, and your six kids are probably fine at home alone.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will only make one comment. It seems that most of those posted make the assumption that "teens" are what make those stores less desiarable for some. Something I want to point out, is that not every teen is "that teen." and I would hope everyone here would give a "teen" his or her chance to prove themselves to you before you pass judgement. I am no longer a teen, but am still young and being one who would always give the respect, but never get it because older more "mature" persons would just see me as another "teen" made it difficult for me growing up. So I ask for you ALL to give that teen a chance, before you label him/her as just another "teen."
Old 11-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Spike

Obviously Dan has a passion for archery and bowhunting.

It's a good thing when your occupation and your employment come together like that.

Sounds like he is a stand up guy too.

Now go get that picture for him...
Old 11-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by turkey guide
My comment had nothing to do with Dans age, but I'd bet he's an experienced bowhunter or competitive shooter over 35, not in his 20's at his tenth job.
My wife and I both manage stores, or sections of stores anyway. Her at Wal Mart and I at a large fireworks chain some might know as Pyro City. We both also shop at Bass Pro usually together, because it's over 100 miles distant. And we have seen the same problems there that we experience ourselves in business. Kids growing up with way too much given to them, and no idea how to work or earn anything. About one in 50 has some potential to understand and take instruction, and a willingness to work, but are not qualified for some reason.. The rest move on to another desperate business within days or weeks. Of coarse it doesn't help that companies are greedy and wish to pay as little as possible, so older experienced people won't even apply.
So you need to fill a position, but can't pay what it's worth to get an experienced hard working person. So you get aps from 300 kids under 25 who have never worked in retail or at all, 200 won't even show to interview once it is established that a urine sample is required today. 50 have a very restricted work schedule due to health problems or higher education classes or kids at home, leaving you 50 people who are to be interviewed. You can bet 25 of those have criminal histories that involve stealing, leaving you 25 kids with no prior job experience who would love to work for you as long as it's not to hard and they can use their phones at work. You talk to them and hope to find a farmer in the group, or a small town kid who grew up working at home to survive. You narrow it down to 5 possibilities. Then you inform them they are being considered but they must understand that tobacco use and cell phones are completely banned at work. You just lost 4 more and have one choice left, and the position needs filled today. He can't start today, but will ask his mom if he can be there tomorrow. You're screwed! You may as well advertise the job again and hope someone comes along because this kid probably won't last either, that is if you even hired him after refusing to start when you needed him to start. Of coarse you will get all the same people applying over and over who don't understand why you don't hire them, and you have to explain why they are noy qualified.
No mam it doesn't matter if you promise only to smoke dope on your days off, I know you promise not to do it on work days, but, yes I know you have six kids to support, but,yes we try very hard not to discriminate against good people like you, but we cannot hire criminals while admittedly engaged in crime. Yes mam just one failed test and you are fired. Yes you may file an appeal with me and take the test again the same day. No you can't wait a week to test again. Yes mam, go ahead and get that litigation started and I'll see you in court. Yes, by all means do go and get high, it won't hurt your chances to work here any more than it already has, and your six kids are probably fine at home alone.
WOW! You need to get over yourself. I think it's pretty unreasonable to expect someone to start the day they are interviewed. I have never gone into an interview expecting to start working that day, thus I wouldn't have made arrangements to do so ahead of time!

No offense, but working at a fireworks store is not exactly a dream job so maybe you need to lower your standards a tad instead of complaining about the types of applicants you get.