Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
I always hated BassPro.......... >

I always hated BassPro..........

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I always hated BassPro..........

Old 11-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default I always hated BassPro..........

It’s commonplace for people to make a concerted effort to complain when they feel that they have had substandard service at a retail establishment. I just do my best to bite my tongue and take my business elsewhere.
I recently received a used bow as a gift from a friend. This bow was very dirty and looked to have seen better days. I was told to take it to an archery pro-shop to have a professional go over it, and replace any worn parts, cables, buy some arrows, and make sure the draw length was ok.
Keeping in mind that I have NEVER fired an arrow of any kind imagine the intimidation factor of it all!
I was told to NOT go to Cabela’s or Basspro, because they didn’t specialize in archery and they may just pressure me into stuff I don’t need or ruin my bow. As luck would have it there were no archery pro shops near me, so I had to go to Basspro. Now, just so you know that I have NO affiliation with Basspro, I only ever shop there when I know what I want and can go in, get it, and leave. I have never once had a positive customer service at the location near my office!
That being said, November 3rd found me standing at the archery counter with my dirty old bow expecting the worse. Dan Brown approached me and asked what he could do for me. The short version is that I told him I have never even pulled a bow string, but I needed him to look over my bow, suggest some arrows, and send me on my way. He could have done just that, and I would have failed miserably and never bow hunted again!
I was self conscious of all the other archers around, and didn’t want to seem like an idiot, but Dan anticipated all my questions, and went WAY out of his way to make sure that I had what I needed (even if I didn’t know at the time that I needed it).
What he DIDN’T do was sell (or even suggest) items that I didn’t need. He had me test fire some arrows, and noticed that the arrow fell off the old-school arrow rest and set me up with a new one that would prevent this. He also replaced my old noisy release, and custom cut me some arrows. Fixed my peep site and installed a “kisser button”.
He praised the quality of my bow, commented on it silent release, flat trajectory, and overall condition. He told me that it still had many years of hunting left in it and it just needed a cleaning.
After spending about an hour and a half with me I put 3 arrows in a business card sized group from 20 yards (2 were fighting for the same hole). I am NOT saying that to brag (I don’t even know if that is good) I am saying that to emphasize the MANY free tips Dan gave me from foot position up through squeezing my shoulder blades together.
I basically got my gear and a crash course in archery for less than $200 and about 2 hours of my time.
I have no doubt that Dan could have really padded his paycheck due to my ignorance, but he didn’t. I am taking the time out of my busy work day to write this because in today’s society you seldom get service like this! I am going on my first bow hunt in the next two weeks, and I actually feel confident!
I truly cannot thank Dan enough; he really made me feel like he cared about my success and safety as a hunter. If I managed this store I would kill for a few more employees just like Dan Brown!
If any of you are near Olathe Kansas, I would HIGHLY recommend stopping in and seeing Dan. I have ZERO vested interest, I just wanted to spread the word in case any of you all are local and need a good "stick and string" guy..... see, I already know the lingo!

Sincerely

Don P.
Olathe Kansas
Old 11-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Spike

Nice write-up, Don. You should send it to the store manager. I am sure he would like this feedback about Dan. Good luck with the archery hunting!
Old 11-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Bass Pro has the same problems as every other retailer out there, a couple generations of lazy kids who were never taught to work and don't care to, as long as they get a check. Other than that problem, which I also see everywhere else I go, Bass Pro has about everything one could ever need for any outdoor activity and the prices aren't too bad. The worst part is that good people like Dan are few and far between and as they grow older and retire there will be fewer and fewer caring people to help you, or who even remember half of the job that was once explained to them.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bullelk1
Nice write-up, Don. You should send it to the store manager. I am sure he would like this feedback about Dan. Good luck with the archery hunting!

HA HA
I already did, and it only took him about 5 minutes to reply!

He was really cool, and I commend his proactive mindset.

PS. If I am successful this season I'll be posting it here, even though I am hunting for a doe.

"Thanks for letting me know about your experience. You are correct that Dan is incredible. You can thank him by sending him a photo of the trophy buck you take with that bow!

For clarification, you stated that you had never had a positive experience here before- can you give me an idea of what had happened to you in the past. While I can't change the past I can use that feedback to train and influence the future.

Dan will be rewarded for making a difference for you.

Thanks again,
Scott Ollendick
General Manager
Bass Pro Shops, Olathe
Old 11-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

awesome of you to do that, bet it made dans day
Old 11-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

good write up, if i have a good experience i try and send the store an email. everyone ALWAYS takes the time to complain and rarely says good things to the store. i work hard at my job and would expect the same from someone else to get recognized for my work.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

I shop at that BassPro and you are right. They have some good people working in archery there and are very helpful. Bought a new Redhead Kronik there and they set it all up for me, replaced the quiver without any hassle when I had problems with it and paper tuned my bow just today when I was having concerns about my arrows. Never cared or them before (seem like they are higher than Cabelas) but I will keep going back. That is a great store
Old 11-05-2009, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of people complain about the big stores like Bass pro, Cabelas, Gander, etc., claiming that they take business away from the small guy and that they are less knowledgeable but I myself have never seen any small shop owners with any superior knowledge either. The small store is actually more likely to be pushy on trying to sell something to you since he doesn't sell as much as the big guys. The small shop owners generally have a much more limited selection of products also, so you really don't get to see everything that is out there and available so that you can compare items. The small store owner is more apt to push a product just to get it off the shelf. I think it's always best to do your homework before you go to any store to make any purchase. Store clerks recommendation shouldn't be the only thing one basis his purchasing decision on.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guys working at the local BP to me bring their stuff to a small local shop near me to get it done right. Several buy their stuff as well from him. Other then the low end stuff, he is competitively priced as well.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by turkey guide
Bass Pro has the same problems as every other retailer out there, a couple generations of lazy kids who were never taught to work and don't care to, as long as they get a check. Other than that problem, which I also see everywhere else I go, Bass Pro has about everything one could ever need for any outdoor activity and the prices aren't too bad. The worst part is that good people like Dan are few and far between and as they grow older and retire there will be fewer and fewer caring people to help you, or who even remember half of the job that was once explained to them.

I didn't read where he told us how old Dan is.

My local Gander Mountain has 3 archery techs that I trust more than any small shop around. The problem is that there are times when none of them are working. That's my only issue with the big box stores. You never know who is going to be working that day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.