Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How far will a buck travel?

Old 11-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default How far will a buck travel?

I have this buck on camera at my place on October 21, 25, and 30th. It seems to be a four day pattern or cycle and I was hoping he was a regular on the property. Although, I just went spotting and saw him 2 miles from here (as a crow flies). He was on a doe and wouldnt leave her. Watched him for about 15 minutes at 75 yards. Ive read where they say deer travel pretty far, but I didnt think they went that far. Or at least I was hoping they didnt. Now that the chase phase has started, do you think he will ever be back or is he lost forever?? What a bummer
Attached Thumbnails How far will a buck travel?-14d.jpg   How far will a buck travel?-19d.jpg   How far will a buck travel?-20d.jpg  
Old 11-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Usually a deer won't be more than 2-3 miles from his home territory and even less if there's ample does around. A buck could travel like 7 miles or more in a day chasin' does, but that includes going in circles, doubling back, criss-crossing, etc.

During the rut I wouldn't try to hunt one buck due to his chasing... unless I know of a single buck that is a definite shooter and believe I know where he beds, then I may go for him.

iSnipe
Old 11-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

During the rut you never know. If you can hold does the bucks will come for them. But if they need to travel to find does they will go miles if they have to.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

That picture on the 30th makes me want to believe he was just and or is chasing a doe right then.. I believe this due to the mouth being open
Old 11-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

Nice buck! Hope you get him. As long as there's plenty of does, a buck prolly won't go that far. Our spot as tons of does, so I never worry about the bucks we got going to a different area. Only thing is, they just gotta walk out in front of you.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

This time of year it is really hard to put a number on it. If they are on a doe they could be anywhere...
Old 11-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

I've always heard the 7 mile theory too, but it will depend on the does. He's a nice deer, good luck!
Old 11-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

And you could be on the edge of his territory. It depends on the doe population, food, cover, water, etc as far as the distance a buck will range.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exclamation

Originally Posted by jbar174

I've always heard the 7 mile theory too, but it will depend on the does.
Yes, it will depend on the does, but it's not theory, just some facts I recall from studying all the whitetail information material. You know. Anyway, I recall telemetry studies of several bucks and that was an average. That average could be skewed by the exact phase of the rut, the character of the buck and the number of does within a given area.

I'm sure many here can attest to when they're scouting around, they follow a trail, which leads to a creek to be crossed, which rises up to a knoll overlooking a meadow, which on the backside has hardwoods, that eventually blended into a large stand of pine, bordered by popple and birch, which ran down into some ash that led to a vast marsh/swamp area.

By then you've walked 3 1/2 miles and didn't take long at all.

Compare that to a horny hormone enraged buck and one can quickly understand, 7 miles is just a casual jaunt for him!

iSnipe
Old 11-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Last year I put out my Cam and got this one picture of a NICE 9 point and then never saw him after that. Just one pic. Mid December was he ours or from another territory??? something i'll nevver know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.