Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Could've arrowed him but.....

Old 11-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

First, I don't think anyone thinks the thread was made to start an issue or touch nerves. Secondly, it wouldn't bother me if I ever saw a buck like that in the wild....and I haven't yet.

My issue goes back to posts #3 and #4. With the first post about why is wasn't shot, the attacks on the ethics and sportsmanship of others began. That's where I have the issue. Bottom line, end of the line, main point of the entire thing with some of us is simple....A walking, legal deer is a dead deer period. Those who say they wouldn't shoot, for whatever reason, always seem to carry the attitude that their decision is right. It's the same discussion as using corn ....ethics..blah..blah..blah..sportsmanship...blah ..blah..blah....bottom line is that if it's legal, let each person hunt as he CHOOSES without accusing them of being a slob or unethical hunter. Who here is so much better than anyone else to decide how another person should hunt under legal game laws?? Let he who is drop his weapon first.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:08 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TNHagies
Believe it or not, I have actually read all 78 posts and I'd like to add my $0.02 if I may.

I think the major division between the shoot vs. don't shoot crowds are the availability of bucks such as these. If you are able to see deer of this size often or even have a few of them on your wall already, you're more likely to say 'it wasn't fair'. On the other hand, if you see a buck this size once, maybe twice in your LIFETIME, then I think the decison making process is changed a bit.-Regardless if you're a meat or a horn hunter.

Regardless of your opinion, it's quite childish to say 'some people will never get it' or 'you're dumb for not shooting'. I think we all need to be a little more mature. There are a lot of anti-hunting groups that loves to see division among hunters. These types of debates do not help hunters.

I don't think Matt did it intentionally because I've seen his posts and I don't see him as arrogant but the way it was posted probably spured this debate. If he would have simply said, 'hey look at this buck my buddy seen on this small tract of land' and showed us the picture, this wouldln't have blown up like this. But it came across as 'I can shoot these types of bucks anyday so I'll pass on this one because it's too easy'-I'm not saying that's Matt's view, but the way it was presented probably helped spur this on.
i agree 100% , here down in the south that would be a once in a lifetime deer.... i'm like some on here a meat hunter and do not specifically hunt for horns...If i would walk around my building and there would be a deer behind it bedding , it would be a dead deer.Simple...we can talk ethics all we want...I dont see what the big point is here...

As long as it's shot legally i don't see a problem...
Old 11-05-2009, 04:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default CuriosssS???

Originally Posted by pooly_31
I cannot believe there are people opposing Matt's decision. Like someone said before, some people get it, some people don't i guess. Oh, and on the "i have to fill the freezer" argument...Don't buy a tag, sell your guns/bows and all of your equipment and see how many times over you can "fill your freezer" with hamburger. I promise you it's a helluva lot cheaper to fill your freezer in the grocery store than the back forty...
I disagreee!!! I got 2 deer this year and all it has cost me is 1 broken arrow, 2 used broadheads, and $4.89 Bag of corn. Ummm How is this more expensive?????? Please telll me, Anyone?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

Hey...uh can I get the address of the deer harem in the picture?

Honestly, I don't see many deer like that and I'd have probably taken him. I've seen love struck bucks do some pretty dumb things...this is just another. However, if you really felt you shouldn't shoot him, then you did the right thing. You're the one who has to sleep at night knowing what you've done.

Kudos!
Old 11-05-2009, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting is killing, plain and simple. It isn't a game and it isn't meant to be a thrill, it's for a purpose and that purpose is sustinance..not fun.
It would be good to rethink this. It unwittingly presents an anti-hunting argument that would make any recreational hunting illegitimate. We may eat what we kill, but very few actually need to hunting for sustenance.

Hunting is legitimate recreation. The various creatures of the earth exist for human use and enjoyment, though within limits and boundaries. Hunting truly exists for sustenance, but also as one of the means that humans come to know and enjoy their respective place at the height of creation. That's another reason it has a sacred dimension.

In all of this, I don't necessarily have a problem arrowing the deer in the first post. Again, in general I agree with you.

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 11-05-2009 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
It would be good to rethink this. It unwittingly presents an anti-hunting argument that would make any recreational hunting illegitimate. We may eat what we kill, but very few actually need to hunting for sustenance.

Hunting is legitimate recreation. The various creatures of the earth exist for human use and enjoyment, though within limits and boundaries. Hunting truly exists for sustenance, but also as one of the means that humans come to know and enjoy their respective place at the height of creation. That's another reason it has a sacred dimension.

In all of this, I don't necessarily have a problem arrowing the deer in the first post. Again, in general I agree with you.
Sorry, hunting as it pertains to this discussion is defined as seeking prey with a purpose to kill. Hunting IS killing. Anyone who argues against that can check definitions. If a person wants to hunt but not kill, they don't need to carry a weapon into the woods...or behind their shed in uncle matt's case.

Bird watchers do just that, watch with no intention of killing...therefore they don't carry weapons and don't consider themselves hunting. Hunters go out with the intention to kill prey, there's a difference in watching and hunting. Some enjoy watching more than they shoot, that's fine but it's also hunting. Don't confuse the two, if you're hunting then your purpose is killing...plain and simple.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Your point is well taken Beezer but I think the spirit of the debate has gone awry. Uncle matt made a post and supported his position. Some people agree with his feelings and others do not. Hunting to some is just killing while others feel it is something more personal. To some the end justifies the means and it doesn't matter how the deed is done just that it is completed. Other people like me want the same thing but the method to achieve the goal has to be something we can be proud of. Some people wouldn’t think anything of driving a deer down and then throwing it in the back of the truck and saying they got their buck. Some people will spend thousands of dollars and go to a high fence preserve, shoot their buck and then brag to their friends about their deer. My point is the hunt means different things to different people. In my mind I think sportsmanship means hunting in an ethical way and making sure that the hunt is fair chase. It may be thought of as an elitist thing but that is the way some people think. Others only want to kill and fill the freezer and couldn't care less how it is done. Not bashing anyone who thinks differently and that wasn't my intent on post 3. My post was meant to tell Uncle matt and others that I feel the same way. Some of my best hunts haven’t resulted in a kill. It isn't the destination but rather the journey that I live for.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Your point is well taken Beezer but I think the spirit of the debate has gone awry. Uncle matt made a post and supported his position. Some people agree with his feelings and others do not. Hunting to some is just killing while others feel it is something more personal. To some the end justifies the means and it doesn't matter how the deed is done just that it is completed. Other people like me want the same thing but the method to achieve the goal has to be something we can be proud of. Some people wouldn’t think anything of driving a deer down and then throwing it in the back of the truck and saying they got their buck. Some people will spend thousands of dollars and go to a high fence preserve, shoot their buck and then brag to their friends about their deer. My point is the hunt means different things to different people. In my mind I think sportsmanship means hunting in an ethical way and making sure that the hunt is fair chase. It may be thought of as an elitist thing but that is the way some people think. Others only want to kill and fill the freezer and couldn't care less how it is done. Not bashing anyone who thinks differently and that wasn't my intent on post 3. My post was meant to tell Uncle matt and others that I feel the same way. Some of my best hunts haven’t resulted in a kill. It isn't the destination but rather the journey that I live for.
Spoken like a true sportsman AND nature lover. Hopefully, those journeys will be plentiful and enjoyable.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

I think this thread should end. Obviously everyone is going to have their own opinions and thoughts on hunting which is great. Just go out there and enjoy it no matter what goes on. That is what hunting is about. If everyone did the same thing hunting, it would be boring
Old 11-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TNHagies
Believe it or not, I have actually read all 78 posts and I'd like to add my $0.02 if I may.

I think the major division between the shoot vs. don't shoot crowds are the availability of bucks such as these. If you are able to see deer of this size often or even have a few of them on your wall already, you're more likely to say 'it wasn't fair'. On the other hand, if you see a buck this size once, maybe twice in your LIFETIME, then I think the decison making process is changed a bit.-Regardless if you're a meat or a horn hunter.

Regardless of your opinion, it's quite childish to say 'some people will never get it' or 'you're dumb for not shooting'. I think we all need to be a little more mature. There are a lot of anti-hunting groups that loves to see division among hunters. These types of debates do not help hunters.

I don't think Matt did it intentionally because I've seen his posts and I don't see him as arrogant but the way it was posted probably spured this debate. If he would have simply said, 'hey look at this buck my buddy seen on this small tract of land' and showed us the picture, this wouldln't have blown up like this. But it came across as 'I can shoot these types of bucks anyday so I'll pass on this one because it's too easy'-I'm not saying that's Matt's view, but the way it was presented probably helped spur this on.
I ain't taking anything badly so don't worry about it TN.

I do not see bucks like that all that often. But I will tell everyone this. I see more crazy ass big racked bucks up here in Chicagoland than I do down in S. IL on the farm. And what I really can't figure out is why I see the fat pigs up here. Ain't much crops around anymore and it seems where I do see the pigs there ain't no crops around at all.

So basically HECK NO I can't pick and/or choose which bucks to shoot - big or not. LOL

But there is one thing I am and that is a deer hunter and not a buck hunter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.