Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

K9 problem @ lease

Old 11-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Stonewall,

Your line of thinking is fairly close to mine on the issue. However, even if the deck is often stacked against the landowner that doesnt change the fact that people often do not have the legal right to shoot dogs even when they think that they do.

As an added complication, the person who started this thread is leasing the ground. Dunno if leasers have the same rights as landowners in this situation across states. Furthermore, and this is a big if, if the landowner has less of a problem with dogs on the property than the leaser and doesnt agree with shooting them (legally or illegally), it is a good way to lose the lease. The issue is often much less clearcut than people think.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with stonewall on this. If it were my land, and it were a recurring problem, then I'd be out a few rounds of ammo, and the world would be minus a few straw dogs. If I could find the owner, I'd talk to him first, but what are the chances of that. Chances are that if some moron is either letting his house dogs run wild or letting his trained hunting dogs loose on your land, then chances are he didn't bother to put an ID tag on the dog so that it can be traced back to him. I would be quite frank with the guy if I found him that I will not have his dogs running wild on my property and that it is HIS responsibility to ensure his animals stay where they are suppose to be. One and only one warning. After that, if I saw them again, I never saw them again... honest!

I think about my dog in this instance. He's a good dog, but is the type to bolt off. He's done it before. I live in town, so the chances of someone shooting him are slim, but I wouldn't be angry if someone him with their car. It's not their fault, it's mine. I also suspect that if he found deer to chase, he'd chase them. If he did so on someone else's property, and they shot him, then it's MY fault. IMO, they have the right to keep my dog off their property. I'd feel bad, but I'd be the one responsible.

Mike
Old 11-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

It's illegal to shoot dogs in most states now so I use cb caps to get away with it in town. On your lease a long rifle will do. But you might ask the neighbors first and see if you can solve it that way.

Last edited by turkey guide; 11-03-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hycohounds
what happened to all the people preaching ethics on all the other post. some of the sameones talking about ethics and sportsmanship are now saying sss. seems like the only time ethics are involved are when big horns show up............tony
I totally agree. Most sensible post here.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Spike

I lost an extremely good Border Collie to leased land hunters... It was my fault as the owner of the K9 when she got out of the pen. I didn't realize she was out until I got home from work and then a few days later I found her remains about 300 yards behind my house. I was upset but couldn't blame the hunters... they protected the leased land they have. I would have liked them to have come to me with her, but I can't blame their actions. It's a sad situation, but a problem for all of us.

I'd say to first try to find out who owns these dogs, but it sounds as if they may have impacted your hunting this year already...
Old 11-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone that can kill a domestic dog is a cold-hearted prick. And definitely give hunters a bad name.

You kill someone's dog and you've just fed the antis plenty of fuel.

If domestic pets are not your targeted game animal, just show some restraint and not kill Fido.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

If I see a dog out while hunting, I watch it. There usually isnt much else goin on anyways lol. No I dont shoot dogs. Even if it chases a 190 inch typical 10 pointer away from me. Dogs chase things. Thats what they do. Just because a dog chases a deer doesnt make it a bad dog. Now if the dog saw me in the stand and tried climbing my stand to eat me, thats another story. lol
Old 11-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Spike

I actually work with the lady I lease from and we talked about the problem. She asked if they were beagles and I said yes. They belong to a neighbor to which she called an "ass". She said she would talk to him. I don't know if that will help or not but I am a dog lover and I think the only way I could actually shoot one is if he was overly aggressive towards me or someone else. If her talk does not work I guess I will call the local CO. No dog reports since Thursday morning though.

Thanks for all the insight!!!
Shaner
Old 11-04-2009, 04:22 AM
Spike

See..I hate the thought of killing dogs of any kind cept yotes. But what if the owners of the beagles just decide to say heck with him my dogs can do anything? Sometimes you have to deal with things yourself and if you chose not to here, you may very well have a bad hunting season this year. Cause believe me once they start runnin deer they wont stop and those deer just keep moving.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let's See...

Dog chase things that's what they do.
Coyotes chase things that's what they do.

You can't blame a dog for being a dog.
You can't blame a coyote for being a coyote.

Its not the dog's fault for a bad owner.
Its not the coyote's for for not having an owner.

Its inhumane to shoot a dog.
If its inhumane to shoot a 45# dog with highpower rifle is it inhumane to shoot a 150# deer with the same?

Shaner you did good by gettting the problem reported but if it persist do what you feel is right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.