HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   do does whistle (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/308628-do-does-whistle.html)

huntingking01 11-01-2009 12:58 PM

do does whistle

i was in the bush this past weekend bow hunting and i heard a whistle and it looked like it was comin from a doe has anyone heard this b 4 and what does it mean when they do this

iSnipe 11-01-2009 01:17 PM

It's a doe "blowing". Does and bucks do it usually when in a state of alarm. Sometimes they know what they are blowing at, sometimes they don't. It happens often when they are startled, see you, hear you or smell you.

It's often not a good thing for you, but when you hear it, the show is not over. I've seen and killed several deer after, just recently, having another deer blow in my vicinity.

iSnipe

driftrider 11-01-2009 02:32 PM

I shot a doe once that stood and blew and stomp the ground at me for what seemed like 5 minutes. My back was to her when I heard her. She apparently smelled me, or saw enough of me that it made her nervous. I turned my head and saw her about 25-30 yards behind me. She'd blow/snort while looking right at me, then she'd stomp the ground with her front leg once or twice and then hold still and just stare for several seconds. Every now and again she'd drop her head to where she couldn't see me, and I'd turn around a little and bring the gun up and around a little bit and I'd freeze when she raised her head to look at me again. She did this 3-4 times before I'd managed to turn around and shoulder me rifle. She was in the frozen/staring phase when I shot her dead. I think that she had no idea what I was, and was trying to scare me into moving so she could figure out what I was and if I was a threat.

If you get busted, a lot of times the only was you know is that you hear that blowing sound as they run away, but there have been times I never saw the deer that made the sound.

Mike

iSnipe 11-01-2009 03:19 PM

As you hunt more traveling to and from your stand in the morning and evening, it will be fun when you hear it blasted about 15 yards away under the cover of darkness.

iSnipe :-)

huntingking01 11-01-2009 08:05 PM

well it was sun up and she was about 7 yards from me and she walked so close to me i almost could have poked her with the broadhead and harvested her that way the only time i heard the whistle is when she walked into a corn field about 25 yard away i guess maybe it wasnt me but i dont no

BarnesX.308 11-02-2009 08:18 AM

Deer can't carry a tune for sheit!!

jeep4x4greg 11-02-2009 10:25 AM

a few weeks ago i had a smaller buck blow at me and circle around my stand for an hour and a half! if it were gun season he would have been toast....but he was about 40yds out through some light brush that I didn't feel i could take the sot with a bow.

so, yea...not the end of your hunt......it just means YOU NEED TO STAY EXTRA STILL FOR THE NEXT FEW MINS otherwise they will take off

jd3006 11-02-2009 04:20 PM

Only while they work.:party0007:

Kid 11-02-2009 08:15 PM

I saw a Buck playing a Kazoo one time! :happy0001:

buck-i 11-03-2009 04:06 AM

watched a doe with two fawns make a whistling noise heard it just this one time, it was a high pitch whistle not real loud kinda reminded me of a noise you would hear from an alien movie.