Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

does it work

Old 10-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Spike

Default does it work

i wanted to supplement my corn feeder with a mineral attractant so i bought some deer cane i guess b/c of a bias since they make it only 15 min from my house. i was wondering if you guy ever used deer cane or other attractants and what were your results
Old 10-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have personal experience with Deer Cane, but like you, was curious about bait, feed and attractants for deer. What's weird is that the results, almost in every case, has been mixed. You have 2 sides... one saying "It's great" and the other saying "They ignore it". LOL!

I guess using logic, you have a 50/50 chance of it working great for you. LOL!

What I also noticed is that in almost every case, people come on and say "Use corn", it works good for me!"

So I use corn to try and use it for long distance surveillance and the deer eat it all up... under the cover of darkness!

iSnipe
Old 10-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Spike

My dad and I put down two gallons worth in two separate areas two weeks ago. We're going early tomorrow to check the area when we put up our stands. I've heard that the deer will start digging a hole where the Deercane is poured. I'm bringing a camera so I will post pictures of the result.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:18 PM
Spike

in the past I have put out those type attractants & blocks

the deer always dug a hole out

I believe that they hit it at night and it merely keeps them coming through which creates a travel route by beating the trail and leaving deer scent and sign which in turn could cause other deer to feel more comfortable using that area as well
Old 10-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by whitetailaddiction
them coming through which creates a travel route by beating the trail and leaving deer scent and sign which in turn could cause other deer to feel more comfortable using that area as well
I believe that. Whenever you get deer to walk by and lay down scent, it's like a real scent line.

iSnipe
Old 10-31-2009, 09:55 AM
Spike

Well I checked the Deercane this morning and it hasn't been touched at either area. I guess some deer like it and some don't. I think the location was okay because it was about 10 feet off a deer trail.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Spike

I used deer cane last year and the deer dug a huge hole in a stump while trying to get all of it, but as others have mentioned, it seemed that they mainly came through at night. In my opinion, it doesn't matter what you put down for the deer, if they weren't coming by that spot during the day before it was there, they won't change just for a sweet treat.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:05 AM
Fork Horn

DUDE save your money !!! Trust me so instead of paying $30.
all you need to do is goto the store & buy a couple gallons of apple cider or juice ( I prefere cider), a jug of molasass, 1 box of brown sugar and mix those together and they work just as well if not better at a fraction of the price. Thats the honest truth
We did it here and it worked great actually it worked better than the C'mere deer and Deer cain, Buck Jam were just a couple one's we tried. we tried a bunch a few years ago and then I started experimenting with my own mixes because most of them smell like either apples salt sugar either worked good or Not at all.
Oh Yah They Love peanut Butter
But Thats what we do and it costs us 8 bucks verses 35 with tax ??
Thats what we do anyway hope it helps
Old 11-01-2009, 03:02 AM
Fork Horn

I have messed with deer cane and never had a deer come to it . I however use about 5 gallons of buck jam apple this year and they have dug a foot into the ground devouring the dirt.Literally have pushed the stump i poured it on out of the ground and moved big rocks to get down to more dirt over the past 2 years . That said i know bears love it also.. so do coons squirrels.I have pictures of deer fighting over it .I do think that my spots get hit more over the spring and early summer than when i use to use mineral blocks.I have never thought about using blocks as bait but as a mineral supplement. We have the biggest problems with broken scrawny racks in my hunting area.That said ... knowing baiting is illegal i haven't put any out in months now and yet they still are hitting it.And no i am in know way affiliated with buck jam or a family member.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:07 AM
Spike

[QUOTE=
Oh Yah They Love peanut Butter

[/QUOTE]

So do bears.

:0

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.