Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What to do about poaching

Old 10-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default What to do about poaching

Every year I find about 3-4 deer poached on or very near to our property in Northern MI. Our property is on the edge of thousands of acres of public land and unfortunately the road to get to the public land goes right through our property and we can't do anything about it. Over the past few years we have started to use food plots, harvest more does, and let the little ones go. However, its very frustrating when all your work goes to waste when people see nice deer and shoot them out of their truck. The buck I found last weekend had a rifle shot right thru the rib cage and rifle season isn't for another 2 weeks. I know some of you are just going to say call the DNR but with just a deer carcass in the woods with a bullet hole in it I can't see them doing a whole lot. Whats the best thing I can do about this?
Old 10-30-2009, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is there anyway to plant a cover crop near the road edge to prevent hunters from seeing what is in the field? For long term, maybe plant a few rows of pine trees that will fill in, and in the mean time could you grow a couple rows of corn near the road?

That really doesn't catch poachers, but it might keep them from poaching on your land.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Put up,some angry signs,warning people who drive by that you are policing that area and video recording any illegal activity, (even if youre not) Most poachers and tresspassers are cowards and will move on to find an easier place to do their dirty deeds.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Planting a few rows of pines and cedars are about all you can't do unless you have access to a friendly possum police.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

By the way you stated "...unfortunately the road to get to the public land goes right through our property and we can't do anything about it.", sounds to me that is an official easement.

If that is the case, many people don't or will not know about it. Post both sides of the road on your property with No Trespassing signs. That should stop some traffic.

If this is a continuing concern, contact the DNR and set up a sting. While it's serious business, it is funny watching these guys get busted on video shooting at a fake deer!(whole mount)

iSnipe
Old 10-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

I dont know if they will grow and survive in MI but you could plant some autumn olives along the road on both sides. They will grow like crazy and you cant see through or above them. just a thought
Old 10-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

It is very unfortunate that we have POACHERS in our society ruining a great sport. I called the Game Warden in my area for the same thing just yesterday and they can't do anything unless I can prove who massacred 3 deer just a few days ago and dumped them like garbage down by the river where I've been hunting small game.

I will be keeping an eye out down here though and if I catch them, they will be one sorry SOB and I hope the Warden would treat them like the trash that they are!!

Good Luck to you! You need proof to prosecute!
Old 10-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should talk to your game wardens. That will help, but that's not the only reason. They may be able to tell you what to plant along the road. We have some property along a road that has been planted in some type of extremely tall native grass by a wildlife agency. It's prime habitat for several different species of animals and birds and you couldn't spot a deer in it to save your life.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Spike

The buck I found last weekend had a rifle shot right thru the rib cage and rifle season isn't for another 2 weeks

The thing that I find the worst is that they're leaving the animal. I can understand poaching for meat, if you're poor. Hell, I have friends who I think should be able to take a deer on their property for food any time they like. But shooting out of season just to cut off a rack? That's really messed up. I have a problem with pure trophy hunting to begin with, if the meat is wasted, but why the hell would you take an animal illegally just for something to hang on the wall?
Old 10-31-2009, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto on planting pines along the road. Post up some signs to scare them off. See if that works. If not, I would start policing it yourself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.