Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Another way to ruin hunting

Old 12-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Spike

Default Hunters for life

Sad to read and hear about negative experiences that ruin young hunters to the point of not wanting to return to the field or blind.

Teach them how to hunt and the ethics and principles behind why you hunt the way you do. Some years because of the deer population, even though we have doe tags we make the decision as a camp in the interest of seeing deer in the years to come, to only shoot bucks. Yes, we are given one tag (Ontario Canada) and some are allowed to take a buck or doe with that tag if they win the draw. We make a decision to let some in the camp shoot whatever they see for the sole purpose of giving them the experience and memory they won't forget. This might be a daughter, a first time hunter, a new member to the gang, or a visitor or one of the old timers or someone who hasn't shot in awhile like the dogger.

The point is teach them the ethics and principles of the hunt and you will see that those ethics, morals and principles will stretch beyond hunting and into other facets of their lives.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Gunplummer, that is exactly what my bil (who is retired biologist from the DNR) says. Basically he (the DNR) feels that baiting is bad, feeding is bad and that the DNR is the almighty GOD of deer management knowledge on this Earth. He also says the CWD in the southern half of Wisconsin will wipe out the deer herd.

I don't even argue with him because he's WAY too intelligent to discuss such things with stupid me. Yes, he's an ass.

This was one of the best rifle (bow) seasons Wisconsin has had in years for big bucks and (I feel) it was because high numbers of hunters attended all the DNR meetings (the last few years) and shot down the DNR plans for their "earn a buck", "shoot every doe you see" and "scare 'em with CWD horror stories" programs. Special "seasons" on whitetails for any reason you could imagine etc etc. I do agree with what you said about the genetics of some deer will never produce large racks no matter how old the deer gets or what "miracle food" you feed him. The big racks in Texas are from importing and breeding large deer from the north and not magic food and/or letting them get old. My bil registered a deer up north (Burnett county where the Jordan buck was shot) that he aged at 1-1/2 years old. It would easily meet the minimum requirement of the Boone and Crockett record book. Imagine THAT deer at 5-1/2 years old!!

Wyoming and other western states have had CWD for many more years then Wisconsin and I don't see their deer herds wiped out.

Last edited by warbirdlover; 01-05-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Spike

Default I agree with proof from this season with buck of a life time!

I completelely agree with this posting, this last year i shot a buck with my bow in which i thought i had a good hit as always! i've always found my deer within 60 yds. We started tracking after an hour, followed for a 100 yds with no luck. I wanted to keep going and my boss actually said just wait it out till morning and leave him be. turns out in the morning i started my grid search, low and behold i found my buck. he was still alive 12 hrs after my shot, unfortunately it was my first poor gut shot deer too weak to get up. if i wouldn't have been there. it scored 154 on the boone and crockett. 12 pter 20 inch spread

proof enough
Old 01-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Spike

haha...i'd say "yes"...i think maybe before he didn't think you two had enough common interests to have a serious relationship...you being interested in something he has a passion for may have put you in his "spotlight"...to put it in hunting terms..."you're in his scope" or "line of sight"...haha...some guys just aren't about saying how they feel they just do how they feel...if you had previously asked him out on official dates and he accepted...i'd say he has always liked you just doesn't know how to really say it
Old 01-19-2011, 04:49 AM
Spike

typical women behaviour from her. That's what they do to test guys. Don't fall for it. What you need to do is to learn to talk to women the right way. Pursue other ladies.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Spike

Well I started reading this post and I am in agreement with the original post. I was 27 befor I harvested my first deer (a spike). Couldnt have been happier. And I was on some friends land who are pretty serious about their managment program. But I tell you what, everyone that day was happy i put that deer on the ground. Now I am moving on to bigger bucks or mature does. Love hunting, been doing it for a while, just started a having success. Can not wait to take my daughter hunting.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good points! Not everyone has someone experienced or caring to guide them as a new hunter. As long as a person is taking legal animals in ethical manner, I'd not criticize for taking an animal because of size, age, antler size, etc. Sometimes we've all made mistakes that when shown in a constructive way, we've learned and made sure not to repeat. Thanks to those who care enough about us to correct when necessary and in a way that'll make us coming back to hunt and to be part of a larger community of hunters.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

A better way to ruin hunting is failure.I would never take a kid on a hunt i thought he wouldnt get anything on.My bro hates hunting because his first few hunts were deer bow hunts and now he thinks hunting is boring
Old 02-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Spike

I feel the same way sometimes! I'm new to hunting....still havn't taken anything......I ask for advice sometimes about calls...etc,,,,but alot don't want to help! Guess I can just do like I have with alot of other things in my life.....just learn as I go!

Last edited by James Hall; 02-15-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:15 AM
Typical Buck

failure?????? thats part of hunting, LOl. I kept time a couple of years ago on hours in the stand vs deer in front of me. it was like 65 hours to 3 minutes. I don't hunt fields just stands in the woods and i thought I had a good year. It was only the gun season I kept track of and shot a nice 8pt and 2 does. But if someone doesn't want to hunt just because they didn't see anything well then they never had it in them to begin with.

I took my daughter at 8 years old to a stand opening weekend of bowhunting. We got to the stand around 4:30pm, snacks and games in a bag. and let me tell you it was one of the best couple of hours I have ever had. 8 deer, a 8pt chasing a doe and grunting, a doe and 2 fawns walked right by us. I was thinking she is hooked. We had one low point (15 min without a deer around lol) and she looked at me and said she was bored.

Moral of the story, some want to hunt and some don't. but don't think you have to give a kid success.

You want to ruin hunting? one way is to teach new hunters that failure is not an option.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.