Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Another way to ruin hunting

Old 12-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

Two years ago, my son took his first deer at age 12. Two went by and he took the bigger of the two, turned out to be a button buck and not that big. We as mentors need to remember that for a young'en, no matter its size, that first deer looks like the biggest deer he (she) ever had in the sights....because it is.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:47 AM
Spike

Well, Father Forkhorn you got me to sign up after reading your post I shot a bb this year. I judged him as a doe at 14 yards during archery season. He had no buttons. There wasn't a a dark patch on his head. His size was that of a yearling doe. I shot him as a doe and I was shocked when I turned him over. He did eat well. I have 2 points. 1 We are free to make our own decisions each time we go hunting as long as they are legal. I let an 8 point pass this year early in the season. There is now 1 week left. If I see him he's down. By the way if I let them walk the shotgun hunters usually get them and that too is okay. That's the way it is in Iowa. The great thing about our Constitution is that we are free to make our own decisions as long as it's legal. 2 I don't always agree with myself. I change my mind. Early season and last day are different for me. The amount of venison I have in the freezer also makes a difference. We have different views and that's great. To each his own. If everyone was the same everyone would want to be married to my wife.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 01-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Fork Horn

I'm happy to see this post is still around! It is a good topic that everyone can identify with. I think most people can agree that hunting is way more important than who killed the biggest animal. Of coarse competion of that type can be fun amongst hunting buddies. But if you're just competing for points, killing for bragging rights alone, you're doing it wrong. Quality Deer Management is fine but totally artificial and not needed at all to make a quality hunt. A quality hunt is one where you go out and enjoy yourself, reguardless of whether or not you see a deer. If you had a great time and would go again without a second thought, then you had a quality hunt that was worth your time and money. It doesn't matter if you shot a buck or a doe or no deer at all, if you can't wait to try again next year, you are a true hunter, and know that the time spent hunting is the true prize. If you can spend a couple days alone or with people you enjoy, killing any legal deer is a bonus. If you are hunting for meat as many people in this country still have to, to survive, then you won't care so much about trophies anyway. There are just so many ways people look at hunting that it means something different to everyone. No one is absolutely right or wrong.
In my mind a person who scrapes up the $7. for MO. tags, borrows a rifle and hitches a ride to the farm to kill a few does to feed his family through the winter, so that any cash that may come his way can be spent to keep the electricity on, is just as much a hunter as a guy who fly's in to stay at an expensive lodge and hunt only a trophy with every gadget and accessory known to man. Having all the newest gear and showing up in a rented Hummer is great, but doesn't have anything to do with hunting really. Killing a buck, large or small, or a doe, with a beat up military rifle or a new Browning is all the same. Feeling the need to put a large mount on your office wall or your need to feed your kids well through the winter is all the same. If it's legal to do and you derive any measure of satisfaction from it, then feel free to do it, and be proud of your hunting skill.
All of my kills have been important to me in one way or another. Because of the equipment I was priveledged to use, or the antlers I was able to collect, or the people I was able to hunt with on a particularly perfect day. But some of my proudest moments and most notable kills were the ones I was able to donate meat from.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Father Forkhorn, very well said.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

Good thoughts Turkey guide. I couldn't agree more.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

So, thought I would add something to this post....My mom started deer hunting 4 years ago and we have gone together every year on an annual mom/son trip and we have taken a deer that day each year. This year, it was a doe fawn, but you know what...this doe fawn means as much to me as the 10 pointer on my wall. During muzzleloader season I was still hunting when a big bald eagle took from a tree not ten feet from me, what a sight. Later on a crisp Mn morning my dad and I both took two does, nothing big and special, standing side by side and shooting our muzzleloaders at the same time. The sky was blue, the air cold, and the memories will last a lifetime. You see, hunting is not always about a big buck or a trip to afar, but the people you are with, the sights that you see, the time spent afield (successful or not). I wouldn't trade the does that we took this season for any trophy buck simply because of the memories I will always have of these hunts. So, to me, every deer I shoot gets my blood pumping....I love hunting, I love being in the peace of the outdoors, and for all of you out there, shoot what you wish to shoot, but have fun doing it, remember the memories, take pictures, because this is what we have when we are gone! Enjoy every minute.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:40 AM
Spike

Right on. Every time you down a whitetail it is a challenge. Especially a bow kill.
www.whitetailsraw.com
Old 01-30-2010, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mnprohunter
So, thought I would add something to this post....My mom started deer hunting 4 years ago and we have gone together every year on an annual mom/son trip and we have taken a deer that day each year. This year, it was a doe fawn, but you know what...this doe fawn means as much to me as the 10 pointer on my wall. During muzzleloader season I was still hunting when a big bald eagle took from a tree not ten feet from me, what a sight. Later on a crisp Mn morning my dad and I both took two does, nothing big and special, standing side by side and shooting our muzzleloaders at the same time. The sky was blue, the air cold, and the memories will last a lifetime. You see, hunting is not always about a big buck or a trip to afar, but the people you are with, the sights that you see, the time spent afield (successful or not). I wouldn't trade the does that we took this season for any trophy buck simply because of the memories I will always have of these hunts. So, to me, every deer I shoot gets my blood pumping....I love hunting, I love being in the peace of the outdoors, and for all of you out there, shoot what you wish to shoot, but have fun doing it, remember the memories, take pictures, because this is what we have when we are gone! Enjoy every minute.

Post of the year!!! Amen my friend! This is what hunting is all about! Too many people have lost sight of why it is they started hunting.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:51 PM
Spike

Couldnt have said it any better my damn self. Hunters lose sight of beginner mistakes, people also forget that the newbes are what keep the sport going as well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.