Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Another way to ruin hunting

Old 06-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Spike

an undeveloped buck is not teaching young hunters the right practices. patience is a virtue in hunting and life. its like fishing and killing a juvenile white sea bass just cuz you so can say it was your first. the wait will make it that much better. make a worthwhile kill
Old 06-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Spike

Default ah memories

this reminds me of a time when I shot a big doe and my cousin shot a skinny buck he laghed at me and sad youre suppsed to shoot horns but I said at least I can put the meat on my table
Old 06-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

A spot on argument
Old 06-30-2010, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

I don't apologize for shooting a legal three pointer here in Pa. I hunt public land and just about anything you drag out you really had to work for. Yeah, I hear it from guys I drag past or in the parking lot. Funny thing is all these guys want to tell you about is the big deer they shot somewhere else with an outfitter, and I should have let it grow more. My answer is "It is as big as the one you shot here." That shuts them up.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

If its a legal deer then there is no shame in taking it. If youre a trophy hunter more power to you but leave other hunters to their own views.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Spike

If someone kills a deer big or small. Great, that means you are in the woods, buying licences, and supporting the sport we all cherish. I cant see how we as hunters cannot praise that.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Fork Horn

IMHO the biggest thing thats ruined hunting for youth is the so called "hunting industry" and OUR(as a culture) focus on horns and trophies... it really misses the entire point of it...

it kinda bothers me to see a kids first deer:
1) happen when they're 14(when their parent has been hunting their whole lives)
2) is what we on our ranch would be considered a once-a-blue-moon wallhanger
3) is witnessed not by the child's loving parent, but a paid-for guide, in front of a video camera
4) was "given" to them as a gift

hunting is not a competative sport... it is a way of life, a way of belief, and a superior understanding that gets lost in todays focus on managing deer herds for "quality"...

But i suppose such is the way of things...
Old 07-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Spike

corpsman45,
I was in you situation 8 years ago when i retired from the navy and hadnt hunted in 20 some years. i had to start learning to hunt all by my self until 2 yrs later i ran into a high school buddy i hadnt seen in 23 years who just happened to be a hunting freak.
I had to learn about scent control, noise discipline, stand placement ect.. but i also had to put up with his quest for the ever bigger buck and his insistance on me only shooting 6ptrs 15 inchers or better. But i was trying to put meat in the freezer, i continued to kill what i came across, improving what i did every year. now i kill between 8-10 deer every year. some are very big and some are not so big. i love it when a 4-5 yr old buck walks in to my trap, but i also wont pass up a 2yo. my buddy still gives me a hard time about it but my responce is almost always the same.."no matter how much salt i put on the horns they still dont tast that good".."their only good to stir the soup with". keep hunting and learning from you mistakes, read every thing you can about hunting and keep reading this site and ask these folks your questions.

Last edited by deermeat01; 07-15-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Spike

when i was a wee lad my grampa and i went hunting for everything together, absolutely everything, and he was there for my first kill of every animal, and he always told me that the first is the best and not to worry bout how it looks cuz only god and i should care. well he was absolutely right and would pat you on the back for raising this topic. hunting is all about the love of the sport and the positives that come from it, if someone wants to hunt for the fun of it let them, but if someone wants to simply hunt trophies, then more power too em
Old 08-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Spike

Great thread, hopefully it will loosen up some seasoned hunters attitudes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.