Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Another way to ruin hunting

Old 08-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Spike

Good post.

To each his own. Growing up the rules were "You kill it, you clean it". Putting your hands on that animal after you killed it really brings it home for the younger hunters. The learning curve and desire for a bigger/more mature deer will come with age and experience...not to mention the relentless wisecracks back at camp!

Regardless of size it had better be taken care of and put in someone's freezer.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Great Post Brother
Old 08-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

Fatherforkhorn,
Well said sir.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:29 PM
Spike

Great post guys, I have learned to choose my words carefully, you can be an old hunter like me and still get bashed.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

awesome post, well said
Old 08-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Spike

Great Post....!!!

Younger hunters also means experience and not always age. You could be age 35 and just starting into archery and will need some guidance.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:15 PM
Spike

very good post
Old 09-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jlsherr
Get a grip guys. Deer hunting is about way more than killing deer. Any legal deer is a good deer. If a person harvest a deer within the leagal confines then who are we to say it is wrong. I may choose to only hunt "trophy Bucks" but that is my choice. If I choose to harvest a doe or spike and it is legal to do so, than that is my choice as well. The deal here, to me. is ethical. It is all about the hunt. Clean kill, and the preparation. We need to preach proper hunting ethics and sportsmanship. Nothing else.
I didn't get this thread being in that direction. I thought it was about making kids feel like they're important.

Hard to tell who's a kid and who's not often but if it is a kid they have plenty of people, themselves included putting them down. Been to funerals of kids that didn't think life was worth it. Kind of made a deal with myself that I would be a person that gives a kid a reason to believe other wise.

Just don't take this place to seriously.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Spike

I completely agree. Forget just young hunters. Many of us grew up in areas where there wasn't a lot of hunting. I myself didn't hunt until I was an adult and the learning curve is quite steep. I think that as long as we are safe and trying out best to learn the intricate nature of hunting, positive re-enforcement is the way to go. Making someone feel small because they commited a "mistake" won't make them better, it will make them bitter. Join me at http://camojacket.org for my advice on gear and strategy that I have gleaned from my years of experience in the field.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:13 PM
Spike

Default New hunter at 57 yrd old.

I am a "young" (new to hunting) hunter at age 57. Went out four times last winter with my Ruger SBH .44 mag loaded with 310 gr wheel weight bullets from my favorite mold, and saw nothing to shoot at, but enjoyed the heck out of it. Fortunately I have a very experienced hunter guiding and teaching me the ropes, and hopefully keeping me out of trouble.

This year I managed to get three permits - General Gun, Muzzle, and a Hog permit in our Florida Wildlife Management areas.

I've got a new Marlin 45-70 on it's way and am getting ready to cast and load some of my new shiney Starline brass in preparation for the day I get to break it in.

I purchased a climbing stand today (who needs a ladder, anyway), and am excited and ready to get out there again, after much practice with the stand on the trees in the woods behind me.

Wish I had gotten the hunting bug sooner. Besides my mentor, I'm sure I'll be leaning on the experienced hunters in this forum for additional information and guidance. Hope I don't make too many mistakes.

Randy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.