HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Local Hunting Accident (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/308277-local-hunting-accident.html)

Ava 10-29-2009 02:56 AM

Local Hunting Accident

Just heard on the news this morning that a hunter fell 20 ft from his tree stand possibly exiting it after dark.

He broke his neck, a couple ribs and suffered a concussion.

Cell Phone Helps Crews Locate Hunter

Mike Enright 10-29-2009 03:00 AM

It happens every year folks. People are killed and paralyzed as a result of treestand related falls. Easily preventable - WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!

Mike Enright

iSnipe 10-29-2009 08:47 AM

Thanks for the post Ava. It's a good reminder of what could happen to one of use if we don't use a fall restraint system.

Be careful out there guys.(gals too. LOL!)

iSnipe

cynikalHC 10-29-2009 10:09 AM

I forgot my harness last time I went out. Sat in the stand for about 15 minutes and just felt to unsafe. Got out of the tree and piled up some of the mesquite we cut down for shooting lanes. Had two doe coem with in 8 yards and stuck one.

johnandmare 10-29-2009 10:41 AM

That's why I love the Fall Guy safety system. It hooks on at the bottom of the tree and NEVER comes off until I unhook it when I get down from the tree. I am switching to climbers due to theft in our area, so I have 2 of them for sale in the classifieds if any one is interested. They have been used about 4 or 5 times. They retail for $85 in Cabela's, I'll take $60 each plus shipping. I am telling you, there is no substitute if you are hunting a hang on!! Please, please everybody be careful and pay attention - ALWAYS!! Thank God he will be okay.

RonPenner 10-29-2009 11:35 AM

long story with lucky ending for me, fell hanging stand, went down about 20 feet, hit the last screw in tree step......tore my armpit from one end to the other 20 odd stiches, Dr. said another 1/8 inch deeper and i would have torn artery and bled out....as you can imagine, that was my wake up call!!!

glockman55 10-29-2009 02:35 PM

I know two guys that fell this year in Mich. One banged up good and bruised a kidney, the other broke some ribs, injured his spleen and a concussion. Some will never learn. I use a Hunter Safety System harness. Wear them up and down...BE SAFE.

skiking 10-29-2009 02:45 PM

Falling out of a tree stand is why I stick to hunting from the ground.

Stoningtonwhitetail 10-30-2009 03:53 AM

I only hunt from the tree during bow and I ALWAYS have my harness on as soon as I get moving up the tree....

Champlain Islander 10-30-2009 05:57 AM

Statistics say one in 4 will fall sometime in their hunting lives. Not good odds. Wear all the safety equipment you can.