Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Local Hunting Accident

Old 10-30-2009, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm built like Friar Tuck, and I simply won't go up in the air. Big boys like me hit the ground really hard.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:15 AM
Spike

And test your stand. Last time I used one of my hanging stands it let go on me and down we went but I got up and walk away without a scratch because I was testing the stand and wearing a harness.

Before you settle in go through your motions. Sit down, stand up, turn to the sides, draw your bow.

I know the haste can build when you are trying to get settled in before sun up but a spooked deer is better than a broken neck. The deer will come back...you can't unparalyze yourself.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by RonPenner
long story with lucky ending for me, fell hanging stand, went down about 20 feet, hit the last screw in tree step......tore my armpit from one end to the other 20 odd stiches, Dr. said another 1/8 inch deeper and i would have torn artery and bled out....as you can imagine, that was my wake up call!!!
Good example of why I detest screw in steps and most climbing sticks. If you stop and think about it they are just spikes waiting to puncture or tear at anyone who falls even wearing a safety harness.

Think about one of these puncuring your back and hooking a rib leaving you hanging on the tree. I think that might hurt.

Or some of these......
Old 10-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by uncle matt
Good example of why I detest screw in steps and most climbing sticks. If you stop and think about it they are just spikes waiting to puncture or tear at anyone who falls even wearing a safety harness.

Think about one of these puncuring your back and hooking a rib leaving you hanging on the tree. I think that might hurt.

Or some of these......
aint no way ill climb that stuff. i dont like climbing. the only stands I use are 2 man ladder stands or tower stands.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Spike

I almost fell out of a climber....the top section let go when I was still setting up which left me standing on the lower section.....normally the sides of the upper section give you something to brace against while yur standing.... it was a pretty uneasy (and Noisy!) moment that I care not to repeat!

I build myself a large wood tower this year on my land and haven't even bothered going tot he public lands yet this season...so no need to use the climber!
Old 10-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

Good point.

Originally Posted by skiking
Falling out of a tree stand is why I stick to hunting from the ground.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

I always use a ladder to hang a portable. It stay until the end of season.

Originally Posted by RonPenner
long story with lucky ending for me, fell hanging stand, went down about 20 feet, hit the last screw in tree step......tore my armpit from one end to the other 20 odd stiches, Dr. said another 1/8 inch deeper and i would have torn artery and bled out....as you can imagine, that was my wake up call!!!
Old 10-31-2009, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Falls by the Unprofessional to be expected

Been seeing or hearing the reports of tree stand falls for decades. Many do their swan dives without ANY tethering safety equipment. Nothing; nada.

Some are unfamiliar with their equipment, some never check their equipment, some never practice with a climber, some even drink alcohol, some are downright careless. Some are unhealthy and some are very much out of shape.

Each must judge how capable they are climbing a tree and hunting. Everybody isn't made equal.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jrfrmn
I always use a ladder to hang a portable. It stay until the end of season.
Im doing the same thing this week. Im tired of climbing up and down, I think its just as risky doing that. I love the comfort and safety of my climber, just not the climbing that goes into it everyday.

I forgot my safety harness once this year and still went up in the tree. Never again. I put my harness on before I head to the woods now, just to be sure I dont forget it and I hunt a real small piece of land so he less time I can be next to the truck the better.

Good to hear you're alright Ron, someone must have been looking out for you that day.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:23 PM
Spike

I apologize if this is a really stupid question, but I'm new to using harnesses. I always wear one when I'm in my stand, but are you guys saying there is something you can wear while you are on your way up and down your climbing sticks??