Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do you think...?

Old 10-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Spike

A hunter was accidentally shot and killed in Oklahoma Saturday evening. Muzzleloader season opened that day and he was hunting with no orange on. Even bowhunters are legally supposed to wear atleast an orange hat while hunting during any firearms season in Oklahoma.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

Alright guy's, we have enough people out ther trying to divide us hunters we don't need to do it ourselves.

I do believe if seasons DO overlap in certain areas, that for safety,
people should wear some orange as to not get shot(with arrows or bullets) that's just what those NON-hunters want to hear is all the mishaps!it just gives them more reasons to try and take our natural right to hunt away.

Like Bowfly said "i think he was good, except for not wearing orange...that is just plain dangerous and dumb"
I agree !
Old 10-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by #1Predator
Alright guy's, we have enough people out ther trying to divide us hunters we don't need to do it ourselves.

I do believe if seasons DO overlap in certain areas, that for safety,
people should wear some orange as to not get shot(with arrows or bullets) that's just what those NON-hunters want to hear is all the mishaps!it just gives them more reasons to try and take our natural right to hunt away.

Like Bowfly said "i think he was good, except for not wearing orange...that is just plain dangerous and dumb"
I agree !
I just want people to be smart and realize if they arent careful that kind of stuff can happen. I could care less what non hunters think or say. I just hope somebody reads that and realizes they need to be safe. It can happen to anybody.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

I live here in Iowa and bowhunters aren't required to wear blaze orange...even on the way to the stand; but you're right, he should be aware of the other seasons that are open. I thought all hunters knew what seasons were open, I could tell you EVERY season that's open at any time, not just deer...kinda weird...just thought that was kinda part of bein an outdoorsman.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bm19
I just want people to be smart and realize if they arent careful that kind of stuff can happen. I could care less what non hunters think or say. I just hope somebody reads that and realizes they need to be safe. It can happen to anybody.
Absolutely I couldn't agree more!
Not saying we didn't need to hear about the guy in Oklahoma( I live there).
Just saying ,when people are doing stupid things like not taking the precaution by wearing orange when hunting, it gives the NON hunters even more ammo against us.

Last edited by #1Predator; 10-26-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:55 PM
byg
Spike

Thumbs up

Brushbuster07, thats how is how I see it too
Old 10-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well here archery and ML season overlap and have no dress code. That said there are seasons now where archery/ml overlaps certain season where a dress code is required. The dress codes here apply to rifle and shotgun season BTW. IMO its upto the hunter if they think they need or should wear orange when not required, outside the letter of the law of course. About the only thing I see wrong or faulty with this situation is the bow hunters unfamilarity with the regs. IMO that is each hunters responsibility!

Congrats on the deer..BTW
Old 10-27-2009, 04:08 AM
Spike

The only mistake I see was not wearing the orange. Safety has got to be the number 1 priority. The best of hunts can be ruined in the blink of an eye by unsafe practices.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

What so you guys thing about this? I can't really decide if he was right or wrong, or both.
I think it's more a case of whether he was smart or not.

This all brings up the important point of safety: we have to guard against the foolish when we hunt. You did that by not pointing the gun at a target you had not identified and not shooting at sound. Good work.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt a piece of private land, that is surrounded by other private land. The only way into my hunting piece is about a third of a mile on a "right of way" access road. I wear an orange hat and vest even though it's not required during any hunting season up there just to be on the safe side. It's not required here in PA during archery, only during the overlapping seasons, but I think it's the safe thing to do. Even on Public land I'll wear orange, when not required.

That said, I think the other guy did the right thing, but I think using common sense on public land, he'd have some piece of orange on. A good friend/hunting buddy of my boss's was killed during archery season, had no orange on. It's a totally different story and debate in itself, but I'd rather be on the safe side. I'll also agree with the OP about ID'ing your target before shouldering a firearm, or even reaching for the bow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.