Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
This is the stuff that gives hunters a bad image >

This is the stuff that gives hunters a bad image

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

This is the stuff that gives hunters a bad image

Old 10-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

that's like I witnessed a guy litering today...

we were both eating our fast food in the parking lot, I see him open is door, set a bag of trash next to his car, and drive off,

I wanted to honk, take pics/vid with my cell phone, I think I was too busy thinking to do something, I was pissed, jerk!

Is it too much to ask to keep your bag from your fastfood with you until you go home or back to work and throw it out in a garbage can? Should've rammed his car with mine, too bad I need this clunker to keep running.

maybe next time I'll follow him and get his plate and call the cops to the scene, and press charges, this kind of stuff is just plain ridiculous!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Fork Horn

People are generally lazy and will take shortcuts. Thats why laws exist, and must be enforced within reason. The guy who turned them in did the right thing. It must have been very frustrating for the bowhunter to have his hunt interupted with this. I know of a local conflict between relatives that is similar.
A nefew and uncle purchased land together so that they could each build a house and share the land for hunting. Last year, in the first deer season on their new land the nefew shot a 14 point buck, I've seen the pics and it's huge, from his truck. The uncle is pissed and fenced off his part of the property upon hearing this. No law enforcement involved here, but the kid lost his hunting land where his home is still under construction because he is a lazy slob, and a poacher! I think he is being punished enough. The point is, it's not easy following the rules and living right, but it's preffered by most people, and it is very frustrating when a few people take short cuts and get away with it. Knowing that I do my best to stay within the laws is more satisfying to me than cheating and killing a bigger buck than someone else. Any poacher can do that.
On the other hand laws can be confusing and catch up good people who thought they were in the clear, and that is a big problem too. I've seen folks misunderstand laws and get in trouble when a warning would solve the problem. Some officers really go overboard with piling on the charges and fines when they don't have to.
I talked to a guy just a week ago from out of state who was carrying around a crossbow during archery season. A crossbow can only be used during rifle season here. I felt it the neighborly thing to do, to warn him of his mistake. Reading through a pamphlet you've never seen before from page to page you can read on one page all the things allowed and turn the page and see under methods allowed, crossbows, and not notice that the heading has changed from archery hunting ,to rifle hunting. Anyway it happens. The guy was happy to know his mistake before getting into serious trouble, and thanked me for the help. I think we should all help each other stay out of trouble if we can. Now, if the guy had become defensive or told me to mind my own business, and I thought he was intentionally breaking the law like the guys putting an arrow into a gunshot wound obviously were, I would have tried to ID him by asking to see an ID or by finding his truck and plate # and turned him in. I would then hope that it were handled appropriately by the game warden.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with turkey guide.

Before we hang these men we should get the whole story. Times are very tough for some folks these days. People out of work, going broke, losing their homes, cars & trucks. Circumstances are different for everyone.

Spudrow from Mo
Old 10-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Spike

Before we hang these men we should get the whole story. Times are very tough for some folks these days. People out of work, going broke, losing their homes, cars & trucks. Circumstances are different for everyone.

But shooting, then coming back later shows planning. I've been tempted this year to shoot deer after legal shooting hours a couple times while heading home. If I had done that, tossed them in the pickup, and headed home it would be dishonest and illegal, but the fact that I see 10 deer after dark for every one within shooting hours is just frustrating. But shooting a deer during daylight bow season, usually well before centerfire season even opens up, and then staging a legal kill is just unacceptable.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:54 AM
NTO
Spike

Reading this article at work just made me laugh. The fact that there are still guys out there that will take extreme measures to get what they want when they want it. Can you imagine how that conversation went in that truck....

"Alright honey, hold daddy's shell for him while I rest my gun on the edge of my door. Shhh. be quiet! Don't scare em. you got your ears plugged." asked the father.

"Daddy don't! That's Bambi's daddy!" cries out the child.

"Shut your mouth if you knew what was good for ya!" yelled the poacher.

"This is what we call Sardinia Fast Food!"

Idiot.......
Old 10-28-2009, 05:27 AM
Typical Buck

Gromky, this could be true. I just think we should know as much of the circumstances as possible before we condem these men. I suppose since they ran after being yelled at would also contribute to their guilt. I'd still like to know the whole story.

Spudrow from Mo
Old 10-28-2009, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some people are just so stupid, WHY??

-BH818
Old 10-28-2009, 06:46 AM
Spike

As a NY sportsmen, what will probably happen to this guy is he will face an enormous fine, his fire arms will be posessed by the state and destroyed, and he will face a hunting ban for X amount of time.

I was talking to a guy at a hunter's safety course a while ago who had had a 5 year ban because a home owner complained that he was shooting towards their house at geese, and after an extensive investigation they found 1 pellet in the home's gutter, which was enough for him to face a fine and ban.

New York is very, VERY serious about stuff like this.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTER818
Some people are just so stupid, WHY??

-BH818
Yes some people are very stupid indeed.

Spudrow from MO
Old 10-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by spaniel
They need to update the title to the article, he is not a hunter he is a poacher.
exactly..this man is no hunter in my eyes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.