Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Poison Ivy

Old 10-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

went to see my doctor he gave me some CORTISON CREAM end of poison ivy ...
Old 10-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

I'm very allergic as well. I just have to walk close to it and I break out. A word of advice, always wash your hands before taking a leak if there is a possibility of having touched any. Don't ask how I learned that!!
Old 10-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Spike

Default Poison Ivy

"Leaves of three, let it be". Old saying and its true. If you see the vines on trees, it's poison oak. Most poison ivy is short plants about a foot or less tall. I too got it from burning one time and it ended up in my nose, ears, eye lids, and every where else. I think the bottom of my feet and palms were the only place without blisters. Had to go to the Dr. to get a shot and pills. I now get it from what seems just walking past it. If your dog comes in contact with it, you'll get it too if you touch the dog. I have 2 prescriptions I use; #1 Prednisone 10mg tablets, comes in a "Z" pack which is 5 day treatment or a 12 day treatment which is 48 tablets. The 5 day deal does not get it done for me. #2 Betamethasone Cream, helps with the itch, redness, and helps to dry it. If I get a real bad case, I go to my Dr. first for a shot and a prescription for the tablets. There are several soaps on the market that claim to get rid of it if you wash with the soap within 45 minutes of contact. Unless you keep the soap in your pocket, that won't work. Best remedy is to not get it. But I have'nt figured that one out yet.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

My daughter gets it really bad so when im done hunting i have to strip down in the garage so she doesnt contact my clothes. When she does get it we use Oak and Ivy brand CalaGel. It seems to work well. Best of luck
Old 10-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Spike

make sure you don't use the 3 leaf plants as toliet paper, you might be in for a "burning" surprize
Old 10-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nromaker
My daughter gets it really bad so when im done hunting i have to strip down in the garage so she doesnt contact my clothes. When she does get it we use Oak and Ivy brand CalaGel. It seems to work well. Best of luck
that calagel works good when i had all up my face and other body parts i used it and it worked quick
Old 10-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Contact Dermatitis(Poison Ivy,Poison Sumac and Poison Oak) is self limiting. It will dry up and go away in 10 - 14 days wether you treat or not.... Why be miserable if you don't have to! Home remedies are mostly useless. Benadryl will definately help with itching. If you want the quick fix. Go to your Doctor or a local urgent care(not the ER) and get a shot of Decadron or Solu Medrol. Tapering doses of oral Prednisone work too..... just not nearly as quickly.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

I too use bleach. If I'm at work and happen to come in contact it (work for a pool service company) in the summer, I'll take some liquid chlorine on rag and wipe down the area. Does the trick every time. I use bleach to dry it out, then cortisone cream to sooth the itching usually, 2-3 days its done itching and going away.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

My wife is very allergic to it. I usually don't get it - though it seems like invariably I'll get a piece that gets nder my skin and rubs into me, and then I get it bad.

Last winter though was the worse. I went out early - went up a tree that had a furry leaveless vine on it.. After I came down later that morning, went to take a leak. By the time I went to sleep - my weiner had swelled up and was itching like heck.

My wife thought it was really funny (needless to say, I didnt).

Usually bleach works very well - but I didn't try that there. Went to the emergency medical center in town, they put me on a steroid and gave me a cotisone shot and I was cleared up in a day or two.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Spike

Yes, you probably have poison oak. Hope you're feeling better. I had it real bad once and wish I would have gone to the doctor right away. I'm sure you've washed all your clothes, but make sure you wash your shoes, gloves, belts, and anything else you wore that day. That stuff can stay active for a very long time especially in leather. I had a very nice pair of leather Tiva sandals and had to toss them because I kept getting poisoned again and again despite washing them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.