Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

head shot/ethics

Old 10-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Typical Buck

I think head and neck shots are ok. They kill quickly and humanely. I have taken many deer with this shots, long and short.

Never used buck shot but have friends in Pa who swear by it.

The post about having to put down your dog was a great analogy.

Spudrow from Mo
Old 10-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Spike

[quote=fingerz42;3484314] The deer will NOT drop everytime due to shock.

I'm a neck-shooter. Not a head shooter. But I will say that you are wrong. Every deer that I have neck shot drops DEAD in their tracks and no, they did not all break the spine. The SHOCK on the neck and all of its veins and arteries causes an instant brain anurism...instant death...ethical. How is it ethical the let a deer run around bleeding for 20 yards, 40 yards...100-200 yards?
Old 10-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Spike

I aim for the head when i'm useing buckshot.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exclamation

Originally Posted by rosco1099
I'm a neck-shooter... Every deer that I have neck shot drops DEAD in their tracks. How is it ethical the let a deer run around bleeding for 20 yards, 40 yards...100-200 yards?
So, let me get this straight...

From what I read that YOU said above, it's NOT ethical to shoot a deer in the heart/lung area because it's going to run some?

iSnipe
Old 10-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like (rosco1099) is tired of wearing his sisters underwear and wants to voice his own opinion, for what its worth. 10-4
Old 10-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Spike

With that kind of thinking, why would you use a bow? considering that a bow is no where near the accuracy of a rifle..
Old 10-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

yes, bullets, or projectiles kill by both shock and hemmeraging, (bledding out) arrows mainly kill by hemmeraging. It all come down to what is ethical to the individual.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sqezer
yes, bullets, or projectiles kill by both shock and hemmeraging, (bledding out) arrows mainly kill by hemmeraging. It all come down to what is ethical to the individual.
No, they all kill by hemoraging, bullet knife or arrow, if you dont do damage to major blood vessels they will not die quickly.
A bullet to the ass of a deer, no matter how much shock it applies, it will not kill, unless of course you hit what ? the femoral arterie.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Skinagrizpilgram
With that kind of thinking, why would you use a bow? considering that a bow is no where near the accuracy of a rifle..
You may want to re-think your statement!
My bow is every bit as accurate as any of my rifles the differance being is my rifles effective range is greater than my bow! Period!
Old 10-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here we go again with junk science... KE doesn't kill? BS! Kinetic energy is the energy of motion. Everything with mass that moves had KE. If KE has nothing to do with the ability of a projectile to kill, then shouldn't a bullet in the hand be lethal? But we all know that it isn't. In order to make a bullet lethal, we have to make it go a certain speed. When we accelerate the bullet, we are imparting KE to the bullet. Then, when the bullet hits the target, that stored KE is used to punch a hole in the target and, if applicable to bullet design, make the bullet expand or disintegrate. How MUCH KE, and therefore how much mass and/or velocity, is required to accomplish the task of creating a sufficient sized hole depends on a number of factors, but ultimately the KE is what allows the bullet to do its work. So, regardless of the projectile type, be it a 150gr bullet at 3000 fps (2,997 ft-lbs), a 400 grain arrow at 275 fps (75.5 ft-lbs), or a 40,000 lb bus at 35 mph (1,638,000 fl-lbs), it's still the KE that kills you. Only the APPLICATION of KE differs.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.