Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

head shot/ethics

Old 10-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Fork Horn

I just thought of a HEAD SHOT condition we should all be able to agree on: Head shots are completely ethical and encouraged on Somali pirates and all terrorists.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:36 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by djdkman
I just thought of a HEAD SHOT condition we should all be able to agree on: Head shots are completely ethical and encouraged on Somali pirates and all terrorists.
That is probably the most lucid and accurate post on this thread. I completely agree!!
JC-
Old 10-27-2009, 04:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have shot 1 deer in head.. hit him right where I aimed between the eyes. Not my preferred shot, but given the circumstances, it worked. Depends on the situation. Not something I plan on doing too often.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

i have never had one walk away from a head shot even when i have hit them in the jaw
Old 10-27-2009, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

Grew up shooting head and neck shots, but have taken some with shoulder shots as well.. I don't like the head shot as much as the neck shot mainly because I sight my gun in for long range shooting.. So I am about 3 inches high at 100 yards and dead on at about 250 and a little low at 300. The neck is a little longer than the head . If the deer is 150 yards of less, then neck shot farther out than that and it is behind the shoulder... I think the head, neck or shoulder shots are ethical, I just pick the shot that I know I can make and take it.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

Just my $0.02, but there are some instances when it my be an ethical alternate to what is conventionally considered the killzone. But I have to say that I agree with the guy who asked why you would take a head a shot if you have a shot for the killzone. That to me is not ethical. If the answer is to save meat then you're completely full of crap because if know where you're bullet is going every time (and you should if you're taking head shots) then you're gonna damage that much meat. Unethical in most cases. just my opinion.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if this kid was aiming for the head or not.....I would assume that he most likely wasn't.

Point being, head shots don't make for a very nice photos.

Even on a doe...I don't really relish in the thought of throwing an animal in the back of my truck with its head blown off, jaw hanging by a piece of skin, or its brains spilling out. The deer's identity has virtually been taken away....meaning that it's sometimes nice to admire a taken animal's beauty among friends or family whether your trophy is a spike, 10 pointer, doe, or fawn.

No offense to you snipers, I just prefer a clean shot through the vitals.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by fastetti
Do we have to go over this topic every 6 months? It seems like it never ends. All that ever happens is 2 people eventually keep the thread going by b**tching at each other. Will the Mods would just ban any topic that has anything to do with headshots? Im sure a lot of the people who have been on this site for more than a year would really appreciate it.
If you're so worked up about these posts, why are you reading them anyway?

Do you like to whine? To me it seems you are the one b*t****g here. Why not from now on when you see these posts that irritates you so much, just not open them and read something else?

iSnipe
Old 10-27-2009, 08:17 AM
Spike

Default From a taxidermist perspective

Any shoulder or lung to shoulder shot is ethical. I've never tried to shoot anything in the head or neck. I personally don't like those kinds of shots. If I can, I try to take out both shoulders and that will drop the animal in it's tracks (rifle or muzzleloader), If that doesn't work, take both longs and into the opposite shoulder(typically this shot is preferred with bow). This will achieve the same result, in most situations. The animal may still run from a shot like this, but if it's a good one it won't go very far at all. Of course the heart shot is always ethical too as it supplies the rest of the body and without it there is no life You'll have a very good looking specimen to mount as well as ethical/quick kill.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pigiron
I don't know if this kid was aiming for the head or not.....I would assume that he most likely wasn't.

Point being, head shots don't make for a very nice photos.

Even on a doe...I don't really relish in the thought of throwing an animal in the back of my truck with its head blown off, jaw hanging by a piece of skin, or its brains spilling out. The deer's identity has virtually been taken away....meaning that it's sometimes nice to admire a taken animal's beauty among friends or family whether your trophy is a spike, 10 pointer, doe, or fawn.

No offense to you snipers, I just prefer a clean shot through the vitals.

Holy crap, that's downright ugly. A beautiful buck messed up by an errant shot. I hope he was shot a second time to put him out of his misery. This is why I won't take head shots.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.