Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

head shot/ethics

Old 10-26-2009, 04:25 PM
  #51  
Nontypical Buck
 
fingerz42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Eldred, PA
Posts: 1,667
Default

Originally Posted by deer slayer Jr.
Put it this way, if you had to put your dog down because of a bad injury, would you shoot him behind the shoulder ?
nuff said !
Never thought about it like that, makes it a lot clearer[/quote]

Would you shoot him from 70 yards?
fingerz42 is offline  
Old 10-26-2009, 04:28 PM
  #52  
Spike
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 17
Default

Originally Posted by deer slayer Jr.
Put it this way, if you had to put your dog down because of a bad injury, would you shoot him behind the shoulder ?
nuff said !
Never thought about it like that, makes it a lot clearer[/QUOTE]

Well kinda......if I had to shoot my dog to put him down, it would be point blank, not at 50, 100, 500, 600 yards. I get your point, but I think it's kind of apples and oranges.
JC-
Hoyt_shooter02 is offline  
Old 10-26-2009, 04:36 PM
  #53  
Spike
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 17
Default

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Most people taking head shots haven't "had too" either. It's more about the latter of your words.

================

Hoyt_shooter -... please. LOL!

OBVIOUSLY the guy who said he was a marine sniper who allegedly wounded all those deer is either lying he was or the person who said that about him is misinformed; possibly stretching the truth. Hmm?

Most shot techs who are formerly trained don't mention their credentials for a variety of reasons; one being they know there's no real need to.

iSnipe

Well iSnipe, I'm just trying to be diplomatic, not judgmental, but to be honest, I think a 600 yard shot might be a stretch, but I'll never know. I mean, c'mon, 600 yards is a little over 3 tenths of a mile, and to hit a target the size large grapefruit, that's tough. I sure as hell can't do it. I might could do it 1 out of 5 or 6 tries, with a spotter, solid rest, and a kick a$$ scope. But...who knows, I watched my grandfather, a retired marine, hit 5/6 coke cans with his 1911 Colt 45 at 50 yards. I would of never believed it if I didn't see it myself. He later admitted it was a bit of luck, but 5/6 aint to shabby at all. Good luck this season.
John-
Hoyt_shooter02 is offline  
Old 10-26-2009, 04:42 PM
  #54  
Nontypical Buck
 
zrexpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,695
Default

Well kinda......if I had to shoot my dog to put him down, it would be point blank, not at 50, 100, 500, 600 yards. I get your point, but I think it's kind of apples and oranges.
JC-


Thats fine, your confident level on head shots is point blank range, mines much further.

Last edited by zrexpilot; 10-26-2009 at 04:45 PM.
zrexpilot is offline  
Old 10-26-2009, 04:48 PM
  #55  
Typical Buck
 
Beezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location:
Posts: 562
Default

Originally Posted by fingerz42
Never thought about it like that, makes it a lot clearer
Would you shoot him from 70 yards?[/quote]

If he's rabid I would.
Beezer is offline  
Old 10-26-2009, 05:26 PM
  #56  
Spike
 
deer slayer Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 27
Default

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
I have a friend that supposably was a sniper in the Marines. He wounds more animals than anyone I know.
First of all it is Supposedly, not supposably, second, that is the key word...Supposedly was a Marine Corps Sniper. One shot one Kill is the motto Marine Corps Snipers do not miss. Marine Corps snipers make the best shot possible, and will not take a shot they cant make with 100% certainty. In the field that can get you killed not to mention failing the mission objective....IDK which would be worse.
deer slayer Jr. is offline  
Old 10-26-2009, 05:37 PM
  #57  
Giant Nontypical
 
skeeter 7MM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 6,921
Default

I don't take neck or head shots, not because I can't but because I choose not too. Vitals in the path or nothing for me. I honestly could care less about saving a little meat vs losing a deer. My absolute favorite shot is a 1/4 away where I take out the opposite shoulder..after i take out the lungs of course.

This is one debate that will never see an end...
skeeter 7MM is offline  
Old 10-26-2009, 05:48 PM
  #58  
Spike
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 17
Default

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
Thats fine, your confident level on head shots is point blank range, mines much further.
I believe it, and and it seems you are proud of it. Since it works for you, I would keep doing it, but I believe for the average shooter they would be better served sticking with the higher percentage shots. Or, maybe I am just sub average shooter. I shoot app. 1.5" groups consistently at 100 yards, but that's me. This "argument" people are having is like the classic, "which caliber is better for deer?" It's all about shot placement, confidence and proficiency with your weapon. Best of luck this season.
JC-
Hoyt_shooter02 is offline  
Old 10-26-2009, 05:49 PM
  #59  
Fork Horn
 
djdkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plattsburgh NY - Living in Felton DE
Posts: 362
Default

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
So you got a ribbon for accuracy back when you were in basic training, whoopty doo.
Unless your TACP or Combat Controll you havent handled an M4 since basic training, expert.
What is it you do in the AF.
I have a friend that supposably was a sniper in the Marines. He wounds more animals than anyone I know.
I hunted some bases here in town, we had one dufus shoot at noises in the woods. Was that you.
nope..i shoot every 6 months because i deploy every 6 months...and i shoot expert wearing a gas mask in both handgun and rifle...

you are forever a douch bag.
djdkman is offline  
Old 10-26-2009, 06:22 PM
  #60  
Spike
 
deer slayer Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 27
Default

Originally Posted by djdkman
nope..i shoot every 6 months because i deploy every 6 months...and i shoot expert wearing a gas mask in both handgun and rifle...

you are forever a douch bag.

HAHA LMFAO!!! Atta Boy HOOORAH! Nice work
deer slayer Jr. is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.