Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

head shot/ethics

Old 10-29-2009, 09:25 AM
Spike

i'll admit i'm new here, but reading some of the "expert opinion" on this thread is hilarious. I cannot believe people are actually saying that it is impossible to wound a deer with a head or neck shot! i can't be the only person that's seen a moving jawless deer. makes me think a lot of people on here have never shot a deer, head, neck, or otherwise!
Old 10-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Strutter!
shoot em in the head or neck. you either hit em or miss em no wounded deer. no meat wasted either.

Not always so. Ever seen a deer with its bottom jaw blown off? I have. She was getting pretty thin too.
I'm not saying it's right or wrong to shoot a deer in the head, but i am saying anyone can miss and wound a deer no matter where you were aiming.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pooly_31
i'll admit i'm new here, but reading some of the "expert opinion" on this thread is hilarious. I cannot believe people are actually saying that it is impossible to wound a deer with a head or neck shot! i can't be the only person that's seen a moving jawless deer. makes me think a lot of people on here have never shot a deer, head, neck, or otherwise!
No pooly. It's just that no one has ever missed the exact spot they were aiming for.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

shoot em in the head or neck. you either hit em or miss em no wounded deer. no meat wasted either.
How is this a hit or miss shot?? You could blow their bottom jaw off. I have seen that before. There could be plenty of error in a head or neck shot.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Spike

I didn't bother reading all of these posts but I would take a head shot if I had it. Personally I don't hunt with a bow because I think letting a deer bleed to death is unethical.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerSlayer93

Personally I don't hunt with a bow because I think letting a deer bleed to death is unethical.

This may very well be the post of the month.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by DannyD
No pooly. It's just that no one has ever missed the exact spot they were aiming for.

Aw Crap! is that a requirement to join this forum? if so i'm out
Old 10-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exclamation

Originally Posted by DeerSlayer93
Personally I don't hunt with a bow because I think letting a deer bleed to death is unethical.
Originally Posted by pigiron
This may very well be the post of the month.
x 2 on that! Wow. Talk about an opinion. That's one for sure.

iSnipe
Old 10-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

You guys don't have to believe this if you don't want to but I have even taken a neck shot with my bow. ONE TIME! I took it only because I had hit the deer where you are suppose too and the deer was suffering lying on the ground and he was crippled so I didn't have another shot at the vitals. I approached the deer after the first shot and I was only 10 yards from it and needed to finish what I had started and do it quickly. So in the heat on the moment I decided that shooting him in the neck was my only alturnitive so I did. He died almost instantly within 10 seconds. Now would I have taken this shot with a bow under different circumstances at a further distance, I believe I would but no further than 30 yards. Have I ever taken one before, NO! Why? because it's just not the first thing I think of when taking a shot with a bow.

Now with a rifle I have taken them many of times and so far they have put the animal down and they were dead before they hit the ground. Would I take one off hand? Not on your life! Keep in mind that I shoot every week in a Schuetzen league at my gun club. For those of you that don't know what that is, thats 200 yards off hand with a 22 LR and a centerfire SS 25-06, lead only.

Only with a firm rest would I even consider it ( I hunt with shooting sticks) and I will only do it if it is at 100 yards or less and if the animal is ready to high jack it out of there and it's the only shot I have because of obstructions in the way of the vitals. I like the fact that there is less loss of meat with a neck shot and from what I have experienced they exspire a lot faster than with a vital area shot. Though I have had some die pretty quick when hit in the vitals, usually within 30 seconds but some have taken longer. I hate that!
Old 10-30-2009, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pooly_31
Aw Crap! is that a requirement to join this forum? if so i'm out

I can't believe you missed it in the by-laws
It's right under " all guns must shoot under 1/4 MOA" and right above " All bows must shoot over 320FPS"

Geez man. I know youre new but let's get up to speed here will ya!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.