Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Big buck

Old 10-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Spike

Default Big buck

Well I saw the big buck I posted a picture of on here the other day. He was bigger than I thought he had around an 18 to 19" spread and good mass contrary to the picture. He feed around for about ten minutes never presenting me with a shot I moved my bow to get ready to pull back if he presented me with a shot and he never ran until i moved it up again and he bolted. Anyways how long would you wait before hunting the spot again? I was about roughly 16-20 feet in the tree, would you cut limbs and go higher or move to a different tree and go 16-20?
Old 10-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd get right back out there after him.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

It depends on if he smelled you ,seen you, or just heard you?
I wouldn't change a thing this far into the season.
I'd give it 3 days and hunt it on the fourth, deer have a pattern of 3 to 4 days on moving in the same area they have been "spooked" in.
At least that's been my experience.
Spook him too many times though,you might not see him at all
Old 10-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Spike

He saw me I am sure of that he did not smell me. I think I am going to put my trail camera up tomorrow and leave it for a couple days and see if he is still coming in at daylight or if he went completely nocturnal on me.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

When deer bust me, I like to give that particular stand at least 3 days. But thats just me.