Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

strange! scrape question

Old 10-26-2009, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

When a deer has gotta go, he's gotta go. I see droppings in and around scrapes all the time. Nothing uncommon there.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

I mess around with scrapes and mock scrapes all the time and i see this regularly(no pun intended) I would guess that when a deer goes to urinate their body has a reflex that says to go ahead and crap as well. All animals do this!! Havnt you ever noticed when deer crap or urinate many times they do one right after the other...thats whats happening at the scrape you see.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

i have heard of dudes taking a leak in scrapes to torque off mature bucks...but taking a dump? wow, that is new...guess i need to eat indian food before heading out the next day
Old 10-27-2009, 06:36 AM
Spike

Does dump in scrapes all the time. The Primos pellets are designed for use in mock scrapes...they are supposed to give off a sustained release of deer scent that is activated by moisture. As far as hunting over scrapes...pretty much proven to be a waste of time.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Baybuzzard
Does dump in scrapes all the time. The Primos pellets are designed for use in mock scrapes...they are supposed to give off a sustained release of deer scent that is activated by moisture. As far as hunting over scrapes...pretty much proven to be a waste of time.

i've been successful on two occasions with this method of hunting over scrapes. Granted they are not the biggest wisest buck in the woods but decent bucks none the less.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

As far as hunting over scrapes...pretty much proven to be a waste of time.
Proven where??? You are hunting under the wrong scrapes. Find a community scrape and then tell me its a waste of time!!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Spike

Proven where??? You are hunting under the wrong scrapes. Find a community scrape and then tell me its a waste of time!!!!
Maybe I used wrong choice of words...low percentage tactic maybe better choice. I have had a mature buck come down a trail a major scrape was on...he checked the branch but did not work the scrape...and I have had a mature buck make a scrape where there was none...again on a trail. Scrapes are where I hang my game cameras...and trust me I know the difference between useful scrapes and useless ones. Rarely get pics of mature bucks. Lots of youngsters and does though. Go to this link and read this thread...good information.

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforum...SSAGES=76&FF=4
Old 10-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not so sure about it either, I was busted today checking out a new scrape made last night. It wasn't your average small buck that busted me. It caught me off guard when i was looking at his antler rubs. The scrape was right beside one of them. He also had a trail with another scrape on it as well. They were not very big scrapes but they were sure scrapes and he was most definately using them today.. I will be trying to get near one tomorrow to see if I can get a shot at him. I couldn't see his rack very good but he was with in the 200lb dressed range and very alert..
Old 10-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I find that very odd a buck crapping in its own scrape. I don't think I've ever seen. I've seen scrapes where another deer came around and dribbled through it. Especially when your in a heavy deer area. Maybe its an old buck that has rectal dysfunctions and loses it when he pisses?????????? Dunno?

Bobby
Old 10-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Happens in DE too...maybe its a sign from the big boy for the lil buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.