Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone ever....

Old 10-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone ever....

jump some bedded or feeding deer on the way to your stand when its 0-dark-30 ... and still was able to have some come back through

guess what i am asking..for those who have jumped deer on the way to your stand...what were your chances of seeing deer that afternoon?

ive been almost 100% confident when i jump deer near my stand i NEVER have been able to see anymore come through that morning..
Old 10-25-2009, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been Blessed to put many more hours in the woods chasin' deer with a bow than most people and having done so, have seen many things. On that list is seeing on many occasions, deer come by my spot after I have already blown some out coming to my stand. It's not a good feeling and can lead to negative thoughts, but since learned it's not the end of the hunt.

Once while dressed head to toe in ASAT camo, I was along the edge of a meadow leading up from a swamp. I was standing near a large jackpine tree. While watching, here comes this guy with bow in hand wearing blue jeans and a blue Carhartt jacket and baseball cap. He passes by me at only 12 yards looking right through me! I'm invisible to him. After he gets past me about 10 more yards, a deer blows behind me startling the **** out of him and I. LOL! He proceeds to enter the edge of the woods near the swamp and disappears. I say to myself, "this can't be good for my hunt." 20 minutes later one of the biggest bucks I've seen come near me in bow range comes by at 38 yards. I didn't kill him. Mainly because arrow didn't go where I aimed. LOL!

While it can't be good for a hunt to blow deer out while going to your stand, good things still happen.

iSnipe
Old 10-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

jump deer all the time on the way to the stand, and see deer that morning, not sure the same deer I jumped or not.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Spike

I jumped an eight point one mid day then went out that after noon and killed him....
Old 10-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

I have jumped them at 5am, and figured my whole morning was ruined. Then shoot one at dawn. They rarely run too far Ive found, if they are just avoiding you.
Sometimes, just curiosity seems to draw one or two back within rifle range if you keep your eyes out.
Especially, if youve been throwing out some goodies for them.
Pay attention, and use your binoculars.

Depends on the time of the season too, and how skiddish they are to begin with.
If you are on a farm type plot, and they see people all the time working around, they may not be to jumpy.

Later in the season, when you jump them going to your stand, they were probably already on their way to their bedrooms anyways. You would've missed them anyway.
Hunt midday then.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I jumped a buck last year on the way to my stand in the morning, then around 9:30 he came around again and I got 'em
Old 10-26-2009, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your morning hunt is not over just because you spooked deer going to your stand. Even if one runs off blowing, your hunt is in no way over. We all are going to spook deer every now and then going to our stands. Don't think your hunt is over if this happens. I've spooked many going to my stand, only to see deer that same morning moving calmly.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

I have jumped several deer on the way to my stand. One morning it seemed I couldn't get 10 yards without jumping a deer. I saw just about the same amount of deer I see in that stand on any other day.

The thing I like to do when I jump deer on my way to my stand is move my stand or change my entry point. If the deer are on my property in the dark they are either bedded or browsing so if I can set up on the fringe of where they were located they might work their way towards me as daylight approaches. I always have to remind myself not to get too attached to a certain stand. The deer will tell you where you need to be.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by D Rock
The thing I like to do when I jump deer on my way to my stand is move my stand or change my entry point. If the deer are on my property in the dark they are either bedded or browsing so if I can set up on the fringe of where they were located they might work their way towards me as daylight approaches. I always have to remind myself not to get too attached to a certain stand. The deer will tell you where you need to be.
Good advice. Also, this is a good thing to figure out during pre-season scouting. If I'm going to bump a couple of deer, I'd much rather do it before the season starts and alter my stand and/or routes than do it during the season. Even so, if you're putting in a lot of hours hunting, it's almost inevitable that you're going to bump a few at some point.

Due to time constraints, etc. I used to skimp a little on scouting, but I'm learning that it is time well spent. In addition to pinning down deer locations, it helps you avoid deer during the times you don't want to run into them.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

i jumped sum deer b4, it will happen...i seen em run east..i went to my stand and 30 minutes later they were more south and grazin westward right across my stretch...maybe they thought they were trikin me, i aint sure. but i was certain it was the same buk with the same doe and fawn!!! who knows, after all deer usually have twins lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.