HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   PieBald (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/307805-piebald.html)

bigcountry 10-24-2009 05:16 PM

PieBald

Whatcha think of this piebald? I debated on taking him, but I never saw one before.

WIbuckchaser 10-24-2009 05:17 PM

That's cool stuff. Are you going to get him mounted? Shoulder mount? Full body?

bigcountry 10-24-2009 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by WIbuckchaser (Post 3483168)
That's cool stuff. Are you going to get him mounted? Shoulder mount? Full body?

Nope, just the cape tanned. I am going to tackle tanning it myself. My hunting buddy thinks I am crazy. Wife would kill me if I had two mounts in one year. I caped it out up to the neck and cut the head off and just freeze it until I decide. Might cape it out tomorrow just incase I change my mind.

If I had the space, I think this would make a beautiful 3/4 shoulder mount or even full size. Money is tight now with possibility of number 2 coming around.

What is so wild is the fur is so soft, compared to a regular whitetail. When I saw it in the field I thought sure it was a great dane dog before sunup. I went back and forth on what to do. One, this is a first for me. But two, he was aweful small. He is a 18month old and rather small I thought. But I do enjoy looking at him.

wingchaser_labs 10-24-2009 05:30 PM

I'd suggest sending it out to be soft tanned. It's tough to get em soft enough doing it yourself. WCL

bigcountry 10-24-2009 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by wingchaser_labs (Post 3483179)
I'd suggest sending it out to be soft tanned. It's tough to get em soft enough doing it yourself. WCL

Really? I never done one. Some of my primitive buddies do thier own brain tanning along with smoking, just like the indians. They make some of the coolest clothes I have seen. But I am new to tanning.

Hunt4Life23 10-24-2009 06:07 PM

Thats an awesome looking buck. i would have shot him too

wingchaser_labs 10-24-2009 07:01 PM

Well if they have a recipe for ya that works ya can't argue with that and go for it. The tans I've used have worked good for thin skinned critters up to about a coyote but anythicker skin than that like a deer never softened very well and was pretty stiff. Good luck with it, its a cool cape. WCL

bigcountry 10-24-2009 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by wingchaser_labs (Post 3483247)
Well if they have a recipe for ya that works ya can't argue with that and go for it. The tans I've used have worked good for thin skinned critters up to about a coyote but anythicker skin than that like a deer never softened very well and was pretty stiff. Good luck with it, its a cool cape. WCL

Well, you got a point. It ain't like I see these every day with this good of markings.

wis_rifle_hunter 10-24-2009 08:47 PM

thats a sweet deer. congrats

cardeeer 10-25-2009 01:01 AM

Nice, I cant believe that deer lived that long. Around here they are usually shot their first year born or run over on purpose by guys on the road