Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

PieBald

Old 10-24-2009, 05:16 PM
bigcountry

Default PieBald

Whatcha think of this piebald? I debated on taking him, but I never saw one before.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's cool stuff. Are you going to get him mounted? Shoulder mount? Full body?
Old 10-24-2009, 05:26 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by WIbuckchaser
That's cool stuff. Are you going to get him mounted? Shoulder mount? Full body?
Nope, just the cape tanned. I am going to tackle tanning it myself. My hunting buddy thinks I am crazy. Wife would kill me if I had two mounts in one year. I caped it out up to the neck and cut the head off and just freeze it until I decide. Might cape it out tomorrow just incase I change my mind.

If I had the space, I think this would make a beautiful 3/4 shoulder mount or even full size. Money is tight now with possibility of number 2 coming around.

What is so wild is the fur is so soft, compared to a regular whitetail. When I saw it in the field I thought sure it was a great dane dog before sunup. I went back and forth on what to do. One, this is a first for me. But two, he was aweful small. He is a 18month old and rather small I thought. But I do enjoy looking at him.

Last edited by bigcountry; 10-24-2009 at 06:11 PM.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd suggest sending it out to be soft tanned. It's tough to get em soft enough doing it yourself. WCL
Old 10-24-2009, 05:32 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by wingchaser_labs
I'd suggest sending it out to be soft tanned. It's tough to get em soft enough doing it yourself. WCL
Really? I never done one. Some of my primitive buddies do thier own brain tanning along with smoking, just like the indians. They make some of the coolest clothes I have seen. But I am new to tanning.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats an awesome looking buck. i would have shot him too
Old 10-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well if they have a recipe for ya that works ya can't argue with that and go for it. The tans I've used have worked good for thin skinned critters up to about a coyote but anythicker skin than that like a deer never softened very well and was pretty stiff. Good luck with it, its a cool cape. WCL
Old 10-24-2009, 07:57 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by wingchaser_labs
Well if they have a recipe for ya that works ya can't argue with that and go for it. The tans I've used have worked good for thin skinned critters up to about a coyote but anythicker skin than that like a deer never softened very well and was pretty stiff. Good luck with it, its a cool cape. WCL
Well, you got a point. It ain't like I see these every day with this good of markings.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats a sweet deer. congrats
Old 10-25-2009, 01:01 AM
Typical Buck

Nice, I cant believe that deer lived that long. Around here they are usually shot their first year born or run over on purpose by guys on the road

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.