Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help me pick my next shotgun!

Old 10-22-2009, 06:43 AM
Spike

Default Help me pick my next shotgun!

I have always been a pump shotgun kind of guy (using mainly the Remington 870 Supermag), but I am currently looking at several reasonably priced shotgun models in an autoloader. I care nothing about looks, but I need reliability. I would like some detailed input from others that have used these guns and what your experiences have been in the field. I want a versatile gun that can be used on anything from dove to turkey to ducks, geese, and cranes to quail and pheasants. I may also use this gun on a limited basis for deer with buckshot. I know I'm asking for a lot and every gun has it's +s and -s, but I want the one that will meet my needs as much as possible. I'm currently looking at the:

Remington spr 453
Stoeger 2000
Franchi I-12
Mossberg 935

Please give me some feedback. Also, if I've left a gun out that is comparable in price that will meet my needs, let me know about it.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2009, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Go the gun store, and put all of them up to your sholder.
To see which one fits your body type, and which one feels right.

Then go from there.

JMHO

Good Luck.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

jrbsr is right. It has to feel right. It has to have "that feel". Gotta fit your body right. Otherwise, trying to adapt to something that really doesn't fit is heading down a bumpie road - it will never be smooth.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Spike

i have shot both the spr 453 and the stoeger 2000 both good guns for everything your looking for. but the other 2 are right, it has to fit and feel good
Old 10-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

Did you look at the H&R line of slug guns. They are real tack drivers.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

My good hunting buddy has a Mossberg 935. He loves it and I have nothing but positives to say about it as well. It shoots great and hasn't failed us yet. We recently took up goose/duck hunting, so the gun has seen a few drops and some water...it just keeps going. I'm a big guy 6'1" about 280 and my buddy is 6'0" about 180 and the gun fits both of us great. I think it actually fits my shoulder/face better than my 870's do. He purchased the gun at Gander Mountain brand new on sale, with 2 barrels and 5 chokes for a little over $500.

I have another good friend who hunts waterfowl with a Stoeger Pump and has nothing but good things to say about Stoeger, but I personally have no experience with them.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jrbsr
Go the gun store, and put all of them up to your sholder.
To see which one fits your body type, and which one feels right.
This seems like the best bet to me.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Banned

All the ones listed are garbage, go buy a Beretta and be done with it. Quit worrying about price. And sell the supermag while you're at it. 3 1/2" shells are a waste. If you end up with an inferior gun, you'll never like it, and wish you had something else.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by vabyrd
All the ones listed are garbage, go buy a Beretta and be done with it. Quit worrying about price. And sell the supermag while you're at it. 3 1/2" shells are a waste. If you end up with an inferior gun, you'll never like it, and wish you had something else.
I dont know about garbage.

Anywho The one thats feels right should be the one that gets the price tag ripped off.
Personally I like Rimington, they have a good reputation and the 870's always go "bang." But hey thats just me.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

Stoeger and I-12 are the same action. One just has a better fit and finish..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.