Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Dominant Buck Scent (will it scare deer away) >

Dominant Buck Scent (will it scare deer away)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dominant Buck Scent (will it scare deer away)

Old 10-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Spike

Default Dominant Buck Scent (will it scare deer away)

I need some feedback, will buck scent or dominant buck scent scare away other deer (with exception to another dominant buck). Has anyone ever experienced it scaring away younger bucks and does?
Old 10-20-2009, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's no such thing as dominant buck scent.

The only way, if there were, is that if it's from a buck you just killed, collected HIS urine, then used it again in the same area AND the other bucks can individually distinguish that urine smell as the previous dominant buck, THEN be scared of it. This is highly unlikely. Especially given it's just an odor and the deer can't actually see the dominant buck... that now is dead.

Dominance is not only an attitude, but something that has been established by a buck either through his body actions, intimidation, posture, other bucks backing down and through actual fight experiences where he comes out victor.

I have never experienced placing doe or buck urine on the ground, hanging from a wick or scrape dripper and visually seeing other deer(bucks) be alarmed or scared by doing that.

iSnipe
Old 10-20-2009, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looking over my reply in response of your original question, I do want to add to that. While I was thinking of urines mainly, I would have to say "Yes" to the fact there are buck scents that will scare other lesser/younger bucks.

Younger bucks lack confidence. When they encounter smells from other bucks, ie, interdigital glands, tarsal, preorbital, etc, they don't know the dominance or lack thereof from the smells they are processing. They're lack of dominance and character will determine how they react to smells from other bucks. If they'd recently encountered more dominant bucks in an area, then yes, they will be uneasy about being in that area to begin with and toss in the smells from other bucks and that makes it even more intimidating.

If you use too much of a scent making the odor abnormal, that will or could scare about any buck away regardless of it's status in the hierarchy.

iSnipe