Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help Please!

Old 10-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by iSnipe
The problem I've seen with people using products, is that they can't reliable prove or know for sure if the product they use, in fact, really did draw the deer in. Who's to say they were already headed that way?

iSnipe
you are absolutely right my dad's freind (the one using the licorice stuff) had deer come in to it but they were just passing through the area one buck he saw was walking by suddenly caught a whiff of his scent wicks and stopped dead in his tracks did a 360 and made a b line right for it the buck sniffed it licked it and then followed the scent drag my freind used right to the base of his treestand the scent didnt bring him into the area he was already there but it did pull him off his current route right to were my freind wanted him
Old 10-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

just a thought if its close to the rut try a drag rag. its worked for me on occasion.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

Not sure where you are located but If you just want to see deer up close, set up on the edge of a corn field on the ground. Make a ground blind out of branches and grass. I have actually hunted like this on windy days and have had deer, turkeys and pheasant within 5 feet of me. Use the wind to your advantage and have fun.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

apples work well. what ive been doing is putting out corn, oats, apples and spreading some buck jam gel on top of it all. youd be suprised.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Wolverine41086
Looking to take my 7 year old son out in the field in the deer stand with me on Sunday when we can't hunt. I want to do it this way so if he can't sit out there and gets bored we can leave without having to worry about ruining anyone elses deer hunting. My question to you guys is what would be a good attractant to help encourage some deer to show so he gets to see them. Obviously a good corn pile but anything else you guys could recommend would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Buy a Fawn In Distress call and does will show up!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

be careful, you don't want to put bait out and then go back there during hunting season and get in trouble

go where you see tracks, get him involved, sometimes not seeing a deer but looking in the woods, squirrels, turkey, maybe a red-tail hawk is even cooler...he will be hanging on everything you say anyway