HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   deer ammo? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/307260-deer-ammo.html)

creativemp 10-19-2009 08:05 AM

deer ammo?

i use a bowning shorttrack .308 and am pretty new at it and was wondering what everyone thinks of the fiocci .308 165 gr or 150gr for deer in upstate ny, or the federal power shok in similar grain, i shot both at range and both work good but paper doesnt move so i was wondering if ok for deer. any input greatly appreciated

wis_bow_huntr 10-19-2009 08:34 AM

All I shoot is 165gr out of my 308. The knock down power is perfect and very accurate.

turkey guide 10-19-2009 09:41 AM

I preffer 125 gr. pointed soft points in my 308 Armalite AR-10. But I haven't found any factory loads anywhere. Have to have em specially loaded, to get the instant kill, zero tracking results I like for deer. The most common factory deer loads are 150 gr. bullets, which do an ok job if you like to track once in a while. I'm not sure why they load them so heavy, but they will do a decent job and are about the best you can get unless you experiment and load your own. Just my opinion after trying variuous loads for 30 years on over 100 deer. I know others have had good success with heavier loads too.
When I first switched from my first deer gun, a 30-30, using 130gr. accelerators, I was quite disgusted that my first few deer ran off 50 yds before dying. That never happened with my 30-30, so I was upset that my 30-06 didn't kill instantly too. So I looked into different loads and actually found 125 gr. pointed soft points for my 06 on the shelf. But only once, so 20 instant deer kills later I had to have them loaded. I find that my 308 does better with these bullets too.

popeye2 10-19-2009 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by creativemp (Post 3477415)
i use a bowning shorttrack .308 and am pretty new at it and was wondering what everyone thinks of the fiocci .308 165 gr or 150gr for deer in upstate ny, or the federal power shok in similar grain, i shot both at range and both work good but paper doesnt move so i was wondering if ok for deer. any input greatly appreciated

Not familiar with Fiocci bullet but the Federal Power Shok and any similar design bullet in 150gr and up will kill deer quickly and cleanly.
Accuracy and practice are the key. Good Luck

popeye2 10-19-2009 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by turkey guide (Post 3477528)
I preffer 125 gr. pointed soft points in my 308 Armalite AR-10. But I haven't found any factory loads anywhere. Have to have em specially loaded, to get the instant kill, zero tracking results I like for deer. The most common factory deer loads are 150 gr. bullets, which do an ok job if you like to track once in a while. I'm not sure why they load them so heavy, but they will do a decent job and are about the best you can get unless you experiment and load your own. Just my opinion after trying variuous loads for 30 years on over 100 deer. I know others have had good success with heavier loads too.
When I first switched from my first deer gun, a 30-30, using 130gr. accelerators, I was quite disgusted that my first few deer ran off 50 yds before dying. That never happened with my 30-30, so I was upset that my 30-06 didn't kill instantly too. So I looked into different loads and actually found 125 gr. pointed soft points for my 06 on the shelf. But only once, so 20 instant deer kills later I had to have them loaded. I find that my 308 does better with these bullets too.

Dude I need my hip-waders...

creativemp 10-19-2009 10:27 AM

so there is no need to spend double the money on somthng like federal premium? and is there any prefered brand for deer hunting?

popeye2 10-19-2009 11:06 AM

Most people have certain brand names or bullet types. IMO the best bullet for deer hunting, whether its a 308, 30-06 or anything else is a Nosler BT but....

In the real world, regular plain jane bullets work just as well when it comes to deer hunting. There is no need to spend the extra money.

For newbies, I always recommend going with the basic, time proven formula's that work. A filled deer tag will give you more confidence than any bits of wisdom you may or may not find here.
As you gain experiance and confidence, then you can branch out and try different things. It's part of the fun

toyota4x4 10-19-2009 11:20 AM

Ive always shot hornady. The last couple years ive used the 150gr light mag and they work well both at the range and on game. The ballistics on that bullet are some of the best. This year I bought a box of hornady TAP 110gr but havnt shot them yet so I dont know how theyll do but that particular load has slightly better ballistics than the 150gr light mag.

Father Forkhorn 10-19-2009 11:51 AM

No need to spend money on anything other than basic factory ammo for deer. The bullets you list would be fine. Remington core-lokts work good for many people. I use winchesters in 150 grain (30-06) and they work fine. As long as you are doing your job on the other end of the gun, you'll end up with dead deer with any of those shells.

What I'd do is get yourself boresighted and then buy a couple boxes of different brands of regular ammo and see if your gun likes one of them better than the other. You may discover you're gun is very accurate with one brand and/or bullet weight than the others. That's the one I'd use.

Or you can just buy one and see if it sights in well, and call it good. If not, try another brand and/or bullet weight.

#1Predator 10-19-2009 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by popeye2 (Post 3477613)
Most people have certain brand names or bullet types. IMO the best bullet for deer hunting, whether its a 308, 30-06 or anything else is a Nosler BT but....

In the real world, regular plain jane bullets work just as well when it comes to deer hunting. There is no need to spend the extra money.

For newbies, I always recommend going with the basic, time proven formula's that work. A filled deer tag will give you more confidence than any bits of wisdom you may or may not find here.
As you gain experiance and confidence, then you can branch out and try different things. It's part of the fun

I'll Second that! :hail:
Winchester has them and never had 1 do anything but fall over DEAD!