Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Climb a Tree?

Old 10-18-2009, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Climb a Tree?

Any one climb trees with out using a tree stand? I ran across a scrub Oak yesterday that I was able to safely get off the ground a bit. There were two branches at feet and chest level. With a ladder and a safety rope, I think I could get up a bit higher to a spot I could sit in. How high up should one be? The branch I was standing on was only about 4' so I don't think that would help a lot. The higher section was about 10'.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

just get a stand man. they are a lot safer.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, I'm looking into that, but it'll be awhile longer before I can pry the money out of the budget. I'm not really supposed to be off the ground anyway (broken vertebrae), but I'm coming to the conclusion that I need to. Today's safety equipment looks to be pretty good, so I'm leaning in that direction.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

No question that hunting off of the ground is advantageous, but if you have health issues, don't press your luck.

I've killed a lot of deer off of the ground, including one this year with a bow. Ground blinds are a very good alternative.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah if you wanna get into a tree, get a stand. And wear a harness.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed deer just sitting against a tree, standing next to a tree, from a natural material(brush, sticks, limbs,etc.) blind, spot and stalk, still hunting walking slow and deer drives. These are all on the ground. The point is you don't have to be in a tree. However, I was just checking out a stand this morning and it's nice for a change of pace, so I understand your want to elevate.

There's so much I want to say, I but I don't know your situation, so I'll just comment on your words "How high up should one be?"

I use stands for two reasons mainly; to get a better view and to get my scent further away from the ground if I'm hunting in close quarters. There are many times I didn't go high at all. Shot several deer and wasn't any higher than 6' foot. Being elevated a little gives you a sight advantage because you can see over the brush better, increasing your chance to see something. If you're hunting a particular small area(bow) or a trail or two, you can position yourself on the downwind side and only be up high enough so the brush of the tree helps prevent you from being silhouetted. This also helps conceal some of your movement.

If you are downwind of where the deer will be or trailing by, you only need to be high enough to maybe help your vision or hide yourself better. So it's really not about "how high", but rather positioning yourself for a shot and more often than not, you don't even need to be off the ground. The 4' feet you speak just may be high enough.

iSnipe
Old 10-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Spike

You hunting The Swamp? I used to work for FWC fisheries, hunted GS awhile ago, the first year I got into it. I didn't have a stand and just made a ground blind with some palms and brush laying around.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Be safe Not sorry

4 feet is just high enough if you fall on your back you
might not have to worry,you'll be hunting from a wheelchair.
For god sake if you have a broken back already,get a ground blind or a stand and strap yourself in if you get a stand.
Sorry to be a kill buzz or sound like someone wife,but think about it
is it really worth it.
Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Use a stand and a full body harness system. 4 years ago, I fell from a old rusted 15' ladder stand that colapsed and landed on my back. It was a very, very long walk back to the truck. I was very lucky and recovered with no lasting injury.

Having a second change, I always use a safe stand and harness.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Spike

That's it.

After reading this stuff I'm starting a thread on safety.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.