Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Do You Know Of A Lure That Draws Deer In? >

Do You Know Of A Lure That Draws Deer In?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do You Know Of A Lure That Draws Deer In?

Old 10-17-2009, 01:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Do You Know Of A Lure That Draws Deer In?

When I bowhunted whitetails fanatically, I had used several lures as they made sense to me. However, I was taught that it wasn't their ability to draw a deer in, like in trapping, but to get them to focus their attention on something or make them stop and smell. Because of this I never really set up something where my intention was to draw the buck from somewhere he wasn't already going to.

Most all my setups, lure traps, kill zones, etc, that I made, it was my intention to have the buck come in and smell the lure either to get him to have his body a certain way, to position at a certain distance, to get his attention on something or to just stop him for a shot in the event he's walking. These setups were either on the trail already or within a few feet. I made mock scraps and used existing scrapes for places to position my lure... that and over head branches; ones I put there or existed already.

What I would like to know, is this how you use lure too? More importantly, have you used a different tactic of placing lure, mock scrapes, etc, to get the deer to move away from where they were headed to get closer to you?

To reword it: Have you or do you use lure to come to you, making them leave their area to come to yours? I'm not talking placing lure within the spot in front you where they would normally go anyway.

Do you have multiple experiences where you know for sure a deer moved from his current route only to check out your lure?

Thanks,

iSnipe
Old 10-17-2009, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tinks #69.

This lure has always worked for me. I use it in one of my stands in particular.

The deer trail that runs off about 40 yards (in thick brush) in front of the stand is only visible for about 20 yards. I place the lure to my right about 40 yards away from the deer trail.

I have had multiple bucks veer off the trail with their only intentions being to go to the spot where I put the lure. I have had two small bucks and a 8 pt. do this.

Nothing better in my opinion.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I've used Tinks and like it. However, like I said, I usually place lure where they are already going, so I never got a good chance to see the drawing power of lure. Your reply is refreshing and gives hope to maybe I can start implementing a new strategy when I use my ground blinds.

Rock on spleen splitter! LOL! Thanks,

iSnipe
Old 10-17-2009, 08:01 AM
Spike

I'll have try the Tinks #69. I've just done some mock scrapes in the past, but did not seem to work at all.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Spike

Make sure you wait till rut to use that stuff...Don't use much. Right now the mock scrapes might be a better idea. If you do make a mock scrape put something like this...Wildlife Research Active Scrape™/Magnum Scrape-Dripper™ Combo over it. Make sure there is a licking branch. This will help keep the scrape fresh. It is worth a shot.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah I know something alright. It draws in males of any species! Bucks are lucky there is no monetary system in their lives. Because the two are almost always connected in some fashion!
Old 10-18-2009, 12:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

LOL! uncle matt, is that knock on human males wanting that stuff too?... bashing the over zealous use of yet another commercial product?

iSnipe
Old 10-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Spike

well i think by the time a lure works you should be able to see yer game and have it tipped over.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

I was thinking the exact sme thing whe I saw this thread. My hunting Family ( which goes back unitll forever) Has never really used scents a whole lot and I was thinkng of maybe starting this year. We've tried a couple half-herated attempts but nothing sucessful. I was at gander moutian today and saw the VS1 stuff any people had success with that?
Old 10-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ID-buglemaster
well i think by the time a lure works you should be able to see yer game and have it tipped over.
buglemaster, I'm a state 3-D archery champ in the FS division in 3 different states, so I consider myself a decent shot with a bow, but if my spots are limited using a ground blind, and if using scents will help bring a deer closer to me, by all means, I'm going to use it. Being a good shot doesn't mean I can chuck arrows at live deer at unethical ranges. And also, I'm using a recurve now and that limits my distance even more.

iSnipe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.