Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Deer hunter satisfaction survey >

Deer hunter satisfaction survey

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer hunter satisfaction survey

Old 10-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Banned

Default Deer hunter satisfaction survey

Seeing as how you only get to hear what individual states hunters think when its a guy in a magazine whos just killed a big buck, when a state is having problems or when a states wildlife management agency is making the statements...Interested to see how hunters feel about the deer management going on in their respective states. What one state do you hunt the most and what kind of job do you feel that state is doing with the deer herd management?
----------------------------------------------------------
Please give your state then a rating of 1, 2, or 3.

1= poor system needs overhauled hunting should be better. 2=Ok but needs some changes , hunting fair 3= Good, very satisfied with, only very minor or no changes necessary, hunting very good.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 10-16-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

Oklahoma
1= poor system needs overhauled hunting should be better.
They have some kind of system that only allows the taking of Does on select days in sections of the state. The deer management units are far too large, and dont accurately manage the local herds. Other states have a far better system at management IMO.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

3= Good, very satisfied with, only very minor or no changes necessary, hunting very good.

I don't really know much about it; only that the DNR here seems to know the number of deer in each county, township and/or permit area. They do density studies by air and land with visual confirmation and pellet pile counts. They seem to plan the next year's harvest by the previous year's hunter success and their own studies, so they're at least doing that much. The numbers are good here, but that's mainly due to softer winters and not so much hunter success.

iSnipe
Old 10-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Banned

I dont know alot about OK, but have heard alot of good about Minnesota. Been on their website, i like the fact they do hunter surveys and use the info in managing.

Good stuff. Keep 'em coming guys!
Old 10-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Spike

PA 3= Good, very satisfied with, only very minor or no changes necessary, hunting very good.
Where i hunt anyway
Old 10-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

Pa.
But we are growing some nice trees.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 1= illinois

It's no secret that Illinois' corrupt politics have spewed over into the last couple IDNR directors and they are trying to get a handle on it now. However, a broke state needs MONEY more than anything so our overall herd managemnet hastaken a backseat.

It's NO secret that the finest state management programs belong to IOWA and KANSAS
Old 10-17-2009, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

PA

Here in pa we have the dmap program I never have and never will agree with it. The PGC has the authority to oversee the deer herd. Dmap was introduced to pacify DCNR.and puts deer management on state forests lands into the hands dcnr a state agency that view deer as bothersome pests that need eradicated in the name of timber profit.
Our present deer heard goals have led to more posted private land and land leasing than any slob hunter. Here where I hunt land that had been open for generations now is posted and when you ask for permission the landowner is quite blunt as to why he is posting its to protect his ability to hunt, see and protect deer. those lands that are not posted outright are posted no doe hunting and no I cant blame the land owner if I had a large track so land I would do the same I blame PGC. All we here about is all the opportunity available to youth today what’s never addressed is where are those youth supposed to hunt if posting continues at these alarming rates. Yes they have state land but those that hunt them know first hand the hunting on SF or SGL is poor at best and youth will not stay if game cant be found in reasonable numbers.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would give IA a 3!
Old 10-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Spike

Kansas should get 5 or higher We do have some of the best hunting there is and a very good deer management system. My hunting season for bucks ended 2 hours after it started on the second day( my first trip out) of the early M/L season with a 275 lb 11 point buck. I can still shoot 4 does this year so the hunting is still good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.