Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Did I screw up?

Old 10-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Did I screw up?

I went out this morning and decided to do a little light rattling. I know more than started when a nice buck popped out. I was able to get him within 30 yards and thought really hard about shooting him. My buddy was videoing and when we looked the footage over later we figure he had to be about a 120" 8 point. I let him walk. That is the biggest deer I have ever let go. I dont regret it though. Not yet anyways. I saw one other deer and about 9 tom turkeys so it was a solid morning. I'm pretty good with my decision to let him go. Anybody else agree?
Old 10-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

Its your hunt and your decision. Be proud of it. I have not killed anything with my bow so if a 120 class buck came out I would have shot him. But I would shoot a small doe if she came out too. Dont regret your decision. You will have plenty of other chances to score on a bigger buck this year im sure.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would have shot him, but I"m not in the mindset of "growing monster bucks." It's your choice there tho.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Spike

I live by the motto, "Tomorrows trophy, today." But most people don't agree.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, lets look at it like this...

Was hunting with my father one morning. I pre-set a spot for myself and another for him. Long story short when my buck was in front of me, I got a DUD shell !!!!!! I was pissed for a long time...

...then realized I got him. I beat him. I got a great experience I remember to this day. The only thing missing was killing him. After thinking it over, I'm glad that shell was a dud. I kept it to this day and that was about 20 years ago. LOL!

So you got that buck too... and on video! Plus, you're in Iowa, land of the corn fed giants. Season is early and you made a good choice. And if you want to, most likely if you hunt that same are a few more times, you'll have another crack at him if you want.

I think you made a good decision. Now go post that video of him so we can SEE it!

Take care and be safe,

iSnipe
Old 10-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Spike

Lets see the footage but there are some monsters in Iowa, good luck!
Old 10-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Spike

Don't worry about what anyone else would do........and you'll be just fine.

A trophy for one, might not be for another. The main thing is that you had F U N while hunting!
Old 10-17-2009, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your decision. Did you screw up?
Old 10-19-2009, 04:00 AM
Fork Horn

As a hunter it is your decision to shoot or not to shoot. If you are happy with your decision, It should not matter what other people say. Iowa grows some big brutes.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Spike

i would have shot the deer no second guessing it,hunting is just sickning lately what you see on tv i think hes only 150 inches think ill let him go for a couple years ,sorry not a shot at you just venting on whats happening and ruining our sport if your ok with the pass it was right