Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

NY Bowseason

Old 10-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

Well any luck NYers?? I spooked a small buck messing around with my climber early this morning. Then I didnt see anything. It was cold and there was about 5 inches of snow on the ground here in Alfred this morning. It was beautiful driving to my spot and walking in.

Hope some of you had better luck then me opening day.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by StraightArrowNY
We've got about an inch in Whitney Point (Broome County). The deer should be moving tomorrow. This is going to be a long day at work....

Good luck everyone.
Hey Straight,

I moved to Ithaca a few months ago and have been looking at public land to hunt. Being gone for work has kept me from doing any serious scouting so I am going to stick to shotgunning on my in-laws property this year but was checking out the Whitney Point Reservoir for next year, as well as Connecticut Hill and Catherine Creek. Also noticed the State Parks in Ithaca allow for bow hunting with a permit. Any experience with these? Thanks for any input and happy hunting!

Doc
Old 10-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by TheMiz54
Well any luck NYers?? I spooked a small buck messing around with my climber early this morning. Then I didnt see anything. It was cold and there was about 5 inches of snow on the ground here in Alfred this morning. It was beautiful driving to my spot and walking in.

Hope some of you had better luck then me opening day.

I sat in my stand from 6:30 am till around 7:45 when a 4 pt with a fork on one side and spike with a brow tine on the other gave me a twenty yard shot. Pulled up and shot 6 inches in front.
Maybe better luck next weekend. Anybody get anything opening weekend?????
Old 10-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

My opening day was ruined by a trespasser popping off his 22 into the trees like a complete moron. I got down and ran him off, after tearing him a new one. I was so mad I left early and went to work. Sunday rained all day so I went to work . Took off today, and shot a doe ,around 9 am. I knew she was down about 40yds from were I shot her, so I sat till 12, got down dressed her out ,and dragged her to the truck. Went back and moved my stand to a different tree, and sat till sundown. Came home and ate tenderloins for dinner, good day to be alive , well unless youre a doe

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 10-19-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

It was wayyyyyy too rainy here to go out Saturday, 1-2 inches are expected. Planning on going out Sunday am, but that's it. Do you think the deer will be moving more after the heavy rains or less, because they spent all day bedded?
Old 10-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BigBuck95
It was wayyyyyy too rainy here to go out Saturday, 1-2 inches are expected. Planning on going out Sunday am, but that's it. Do you think the deer will be moving more after the heavy rains or less, because they spent all day bedded?
in my limited experience ive notice deer will still move when there is heavy rain falling..but tend to move slower.. the rain falling covers up noises that they try to listen for (cracking branches,, etc etc)

the rain also dampens a lot of available scent in the air..

seems they are more cautious
Old 10-25-2009, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BigBuck95
It was wayyyyyy too rainy here to go out Saturday, 1-2 inches are expected.

Agreed. Too great of a chance of losing deer, even with a near perfect shot. Frankly, IMHO, good ethics.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

Sickness keeping the Hunting man down.
Blahhhhh. . .
Old 11-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

Hunted on a small, hilly field two weekends ago and for the first hour saw nothing but the worlds most annoying red squirrel
I was about ready to plug it when my father said that he had four does in his corner of the field. As i turned to look, there were 3 does not 50 yards to my left that i'd never heard. As i turned, the rock i was sitting on (I was against a pine tree on a stone wall fence) slid and spooked the deer. They wouldn't come within 40 yards, and provided me no shot. Thats all we saw, until our friend got a 6 later that morning. One other thing I learned: Riding on a three-point hitch is not fun.