Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New to hunting

Old 10-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Spike

Default New to hunting

Hey I'm new to hunting and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of any useful links. I would like to go deer hunting this fall on my fathers land in the mountains of North Carolina. Thanks for the help
Old 10-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

So much to be learned! This site is definitely a good place to ask questions. Outdoor Life and Field and Stream are good outdoor magazines to read, there's just so many places to look, so many things to learn. Whatever you want, it's out there!
Old 10-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

Invite someone who has hunting a lot and they will teach you a lot in the first couple of hours and you will be hooked.............. Good Luck..
Old 10-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

Pick anything that has deer hunting, mags, books and videos. Go to a local hunting store and talk with some of "old-timers" about hunting and woodsmanship. It will send you down the right path. Learn how track a wound deer, get someone to show you the basics, it will take time and practice to know what too look for. That a few rambling thought of someone that was raised up hunting, fishing and trapping.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:43 AM
Spike

I agree, this is a great place to start to learn what you can from experienced hunters. Experience in the woods is one of the best ways you will learn, but it is a great idea to do some research as well and find good material.

A place i found a nice book with some great tips and techniques was here. I learned some nice information and tips from the book that is offered there. It's also nice to watch shows on tv if you have cable or satellite. Sportsman Channel, and Outdoor Channel have some really great shows that are good to learn from the pros.

Hope this helps, and good luck this season!
Old 10-16-2009, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

Wow..., glad to see that you want to learn. Not to mention that you have asked for assistance. Obviously you "Want" to learn, thats the best way to start. Get magazines, watch DVD's, Hunting shows on TV, read here on Hunting.net, ask questions, spend mass quantities of time in the deer woods, go to your states DNR (Department of Natural Resources) website, go to your local bow shops and most importantly...PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE...SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT! Good luck to you!
Old 10-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

Great start by going with hunting.net
Old 10-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Two things I've learned;

You can't shoot them from your couch; and you have to see them before they see you !

Now, ask away....................................